Hat tip to Tim Huwe for all his draft prep work.
As for me, I have three predictions for tonight. First, 30% or more of BCB posters won't like the pick. Why? Prediction two: the Cubs don't get Carlos Rodon or Brady Aiken. Prediction three: the pick is Max Pentecost. For the record, I have no "insider intel" and this is, at best, a marginally informed guesstimate.
Also, I'm not covering any of the radio news. Figured you got that by now.
From Comcast SportsNet
- (Video) UIC alum Curtis Granderson still has a fanclub at Wrigley.
- Two months into the season, there's some good, bad, and ugly in the Cubs' season.
- Kris Bryant leads a pile of Cub minor leaguers who made All-Star teams.
- After a "mistake" with Jose Veras, the Cubs will focus on growing their own closer.
- The 4th overall pick in the draft has provided star power in the past. The Cubs are hoping for more of the same.
From Cubs Den
- We focus a lot on the "big name" prospects, so Cubs Den wants to give a little love to the "fringe" guys on the Kane County Cougars.
- Filtering out the smoke in draft rumors leaves us in the same place heading into today's draft. That is, we don't know who the Cubs will pick.
- Cubs Den argues for patience with the Kris Bryant plan.
- The Cubs' draft plan for tonight is simple: take the best player available.
- Kris Bryant will stay in Double-A. For now.
- The Cubs honored Bryant and pitching prospect Paul Blackburn for their success in May.
- Anthony Rizzo and Starlin Castro need your support in the All-Star voting.
- Cleveland Indians' manager Terry Francona is happy for Manny Ramirez to get another chance.
- The MRI for pitching prospect C.J. Edwards came back clean, so he'll start rehabbing toward game action.
- Designating Jose Veras for assignment was certainly about Jose's poor performance. But it also was an effect of the success of other relievers.
- And that pen is becoming an outright strength.
- If the three big pitching prospects are gone when the Cubs pick 4th, they could select a Beaver.
- (Video) Jed Hoyer talks about a number of subjects including Jose Veras, Kris Bryant, and today's draft.
- (Video) Rick Renteria also talked about Veras' departure.
- The Cubs' organization is experiencing a lot of change. But Pat Hughes is a fixture.
From the Chicago Sun-Times
- Jed Hoyer remains bullish on Rick Renteria.
- The DFA of Jose Veras is a sign of what's to come for the Cubs' bullpen.
- The Houston Astros' deal with Jonathan Singleton raised eyebrows around baseball, including with the Cubs.
From the Daily Herald
- Bruce Miles thinks the 2014 Cubs look a lot like the 2013 Cubs.
Today's food for thought
- This is the awesome sight of four galaxy clusters colliding.