Can we go back to winning games now?
From Comcast SportsNet
- James Russell knows he could be next out the door.
- After trading Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel, the Cubs will get a good look at their next wave of pitching.
- The Rundown compares Anthony Rizzo and Justin Morneau, who are candidates for the All-Star Game.
- Yankees' GM Brian Cashman loves the haul the Cubs got from the Oakland Athletics.
- Former Cub Mark Prior has been elected to the USC Hall of Fame.
- Could Addison Russell arrive at Wrigley next season? Sure.
- Jeff Samardzija is thinking big. He wants a shot at the All-Star Game, a World Series ring, and a megadeal.
- Kyle Hendricks will make his big league debut later today. He's hoping to make a lasting impression.
- The recently promoted Arismendy Alcantara has been underappreciated.
From Cubs Den
- Arismendy Alcantara is joining the Cubs for two days (at least?).
- More trade rumors are popping up, including news that the trade with the A's was almost even bigger.
- Jason McLeod not only turned down an opportunity to interview with the San Diego Padres for their general-manager job, but he's signed on to stay two more years in Chicago.
- The Cubs have growing confidence in Chris Coghlan as a lead-off man.
- Dallas Beeler's impressive first start has earned him another shot.
- Kris Bryant made the very unofficial first half All-Prospect team.
- The players in the Cubs' clubhouse are moving on after last weekend's blockbuster shake-up.
- Most of the focus was on Addison Russell, but Billy McKinney has also joined the Cubs' outfield mix on the farm.
- Arismendy Alcantara is living the dream by being called up to the big leagues.
- And the Cubs are looking forward to watching Alcantara "do it all."
- The very dreamy Kris Bryant was ejected from his first minor league game on Tuesday night. Ooh... a bad boy!
- Overall, Bryant is trying to stay humble. He's also unsatisfied with what he's accomplished so far.
- Meanwhile, Jason McLeod says it's not time to move Bryant to the outfield.
- (Video) A's GM Billy Beane visited the "GM's Office" to talk about how the Shark trade went down.
- Javy Baez is surging and he's attributing that to making adjustments.
- Manny Ramirez just wants to be one of the guys.
- (Video) Kyle Hendricks is ready to make his big league debut. His promotion hazing was having to be interviewed by Jesse Rogers, I assume.
- (Video) Tsuyoshi Wada talked about his solid major league debut.
- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is urging the Cubs and rooftop owners to avoid court action.
- Travis Wood is living and learning.
- Starlin Castro is happy for one last reunion with Derek Jeter at this year's All-Star Game.
- Justin Ruggiano is crediting his coaches for his recent surge.
- (Video) Alcantara talked about his promotion.
From the Chicago Sun-Times
- Jake Arrieta is eager to keep plugging away.
- The Cubs admit they are feeling a little down after "The Trade." But they aren't pinning the recent skid on their feelings.
From the Daily Herald
- It's time again for the Cubs to look at new starting pitchers.
- Only sort of Cub-related, but Jeff Samardzija talked to FanGraphs about pitch counts, injuries, and the old days.
Today's food for thought
- Hey! A baseball thing! Tampa Bay Rays' outfielder Kevin Kiermaier hit a line drive so hard it went through the glove of Kansas City Royals' first baseman Eric Hosmer. The worst part for Kiermaier? He was still retired on the play.
- Here are some cool iridescent clouds over Thamserku.