This might be of the most diverse collections to date.
From Comcast SportsNet
- The Cubs are reportedly weighing a couple of position changes for some of their top minor league talent. This also includes an interview by David Kaplan with Javier Baez.
- Filed under "news for some": Jack White rocked a Cubs' shirt.
- And a different Jack, Jack Daniel's, is moving in to Wrigley.
- Jorge Soler is finally healthy and in a groove.
- Theo Epstein is betting on big bats and counting on hitting coach Bill Mueller to refine their approach. This also includes an interview by David Kaplan with Kris Bryant. There are some close-ups of his eyes.
- GM Jed Hoyer is just ignoring trade rumors that talk about the Cubs acquiring David Price.
From Cubs Den
- Here's a trade deadline preview that determines you shouldn't expect all that much in the coming days.
- John Arguello shares some thoughts on the minor league promotions of Jorge Soler and Albert Almora.
- As you might have heard, GM Jed Hoyer said "It's time for Mendy to play."
- Arismendy Alcantara is here, but some of the Cubs' other top prospects are going to have to wait their turn to get to the big leagues.
- GM Jed Hoyer reflected on the anniversary of trading Matt Garza to the Texas Rangers for C.J. Edwards, Mike Olt, Justin Grimm, and Neil Ramirez. Three outta four ain't bad.
- Greg Maddux will enter the Hall of Fame on Sunday. Work ethic and determination were the root of his success.
- Nate Schierholtz has had a tough season at the plate. But he was named the team's Heart and Hustle award winner. Congrats, Nate.
- Kyle Hendricks shined in his first big league win. I hereby lobby that we nickname him "Upper Case" as our own BCB inside joke.
- From his vantage point, Rick Sutcliffe thinks Hendricks is just a winner.
- Jesse Rogers answers five questions. Topics: 1) Darwin Barney, Mike Olt, and fairness; 2) Mendy's power; 3) Upper Case (SWIDT?) and being real; 4) promotions for Soler & Almora, with Jesse getting the answer pretty much backwards; and 5) B & B making the big leagues.
- There's a swinging of emotions in the Cubs' clubhouse.
- VIDEO: Arismendy Alcantara talks about his Tuesday night bomb.
- VIDEO: Jed Hoyer talks about the tough decision to let Darwin Barney go.
- VIDEO: For his part, Rick Renteria was thankful to know Barney.
- VIDEO: James Russell also talked about the departure of his long-time teammate.
- This photo gallery shows the best of Darwin.
- Greg Maddux always had fun off the field.
- ICYMI, the Cubs signed an ex-military man as a free agent pitcher. You've got to figure Daniel Lewis has the mental preparation part of the game in hand.
- VIDEO: Lewis talked about everything happening in a blur.
From the Chicago Sun-Times
- There was speculation before, but Jeff Samardzija confirms he would love to be reunited with former teammate Darwin Barney in Oakland.
- Gordo believes Rick Renteria needs to curb his enthusiasm for using relievers. I agree in theory (pause for you to take that in). However, I want to see how this plays out with the "young arms" factor.
From the Daily Herald
- Greg Maddux admits he is nervous for induction weekend.
- Many have tried to connect the dots, but the Cubs insist there are no dots to connect with Darwin Barney's departure and Javier Baez seeing more time at second base.
- This Fangraphs column is at least a little confusing. But it has to do with WAR, prospects, and a couple of Cubs. Read the intro carefully or you may be wondering how Ty Kelly outranks Kris Bryant.
- Fangraphs also concludes Starlin Castro and the Cardinals' Allen Craig are trending in opposite ways.
- The Redeye (a Chicago paper, for those unfamiliar) found that Cub fans are super excited about all the prospects coming up. Even the ones that aren't real.
- Grantland's Jake Johnson thinks the Cubs' time is now-ish.
Today's food for thought
- Offshore wind farms are turning into artificial reefs.
- This chart ranks the obscurity of hit songs over time.
- 13 things you probably didn't know about human birth.