A day after, but a happy 64th birthday to my dad. I've said it before and I'll say it again: my dad is better than your dad... and I sincerely hope you feel like you'd say the same thing about yours.
From Comcast SportsNet
- With Baez-mania settling in, the Cubs know better days are ahead.
- The Cubs are taking it one day at a time with Javier Baez.
- Chris Valaika hopes he can be part of the rebuild going forward.
- Neil Ramirez and Jacob Turner are hoping to finish the year strong.
From Cubs Den
- EconoBall is rethinking "Prime."
- The Under Armour Game will feature some of the country's top high school talent this Saturday at Wrigley Field. Maybe a future Cubs' draft pick will take the field - last year's game featured overslot pitchers Dylan Cease and Carson Sands (his brother is playing in this year's game).
- Jacob Turner is, predictably, excited for a fresh start.
- Rick Renteria wants Javy Baez to just be himself.
- The Cubs are trying to get Junior Lake back on track.
- Rick Renteria has had to make some unenviable line-up choices due to a dearth of talented hitters. But pretty soon, those decisions will be a lot more fun.
- The Cubs continue to be on the hunt for pitching.
- The team is trying to look beyond the strikeouts for an on-base formula.
- Arismendy Alcantara is adjusting easily to center field.
- Former Cub Darwin Barney is settling in with the Los Angeles Dodgers after a whirlwind move.
- Javy Baez is getting a major league education.
- VIDEO: Rick Renteria talks about the Cubs' high strikeout rate.
From the Chicago Sun-Times
- Chris Coghlan and Jacob Turner agree that extra pressure on prospects doesn't help.
- Tampa Bay Rays' manager Joe Maddon advised Javy Baez to play to his strengths.
- Baez' sister will always be his number one fan. For those unaware, Noely Baez has spina bifida.
From the Daily Herald
- Len Kasper thinks the Cubs' front office has stepped on the accelerator.
- Matt Spiegel thinks Javy Baez' song has just begun.
- The Cubs' bench has been a little short of average (and below replacement level), according to this Fangraphs' chart.
Today's food for thought