I always get kinda sad when the last home game of the year happens. How about you?
From Comcast SportsNet
- Maybe Al really is Patrick Mooney. Because Patrick thinks Justin Masterson may be a good fit for the Cubs, too.
- Edwin Jackson has been bumped to the bullpen.
- The Cubs are almost shovel ready for the Wrigley renovations.
- Starlin Castro is being shut down for the season.
- The team looks at the "Cardinal Way" and want that same mix of youth and veteran leadership.
- Addison Russell may be the next big thing. And the young shortstop says he's ready for anything.
From Cubs Den
- Here's some extra notes on the Cubs' minor leagues.
- Many have suggested the Cubs should sign two new starting pitchers, just as they have done the last couple offseasons. John Arguello debates some options.
- Kyle Hendricks pitches beyond his years.
- Addison Russell liked what he saw during a visit to Wrigley Field.
- Real nice get here by Jesse Rogers. He talked to Gary Sheffield about how Javier Baez needs to make some mechanical and approach adjustments.
- (Insider) Kris Bryant is a top prospect. You know this. Well, it holds for fantasy baseball, too.
- Welington Castillo is making a September push. Seems Beef did this last year. It's like he's a backwards catcher. Most backstops wear down as the year goes on, but Beef turns that tide.
- AUDIO: Theo Epstein joined the podcast to talk about the Cubs' approach.
- Who will hit lead-off for the Cubs' next year?
- Travis Wood's forgettable season is finished.
- The Trib has topics near and dear to Al's heart today. Mark Gonzales reports that Cubs' attendance is on the rise.
- Robert Channick reports the Cubs' TV rights deal is in its late innings. Of note in this article: CSN pays the Cubs twice as much ($500K) per game as WGN ($250K). WGN is reporting they lose $250K per game (~$17.75M per season). So... do we think CSN is losing $500K per game? If not, why? If so, well, that's an awfully large accounting pill to swallow, dontcha think?
- VIDEO: Rick Renteria talks about the experiences 2014 has afforded he and his young team.
- VIDEO: Anthony Rizzo talks about what the expectations should be for next season.
- The Kane County Cougars will now be affiliated with the Arizona Diamondbacks for the next two years.
From the Chicago Sun-Times
- The Gordo-like non-Gordo writing continues by declaring that the Cubs' rotation has to get better to compete with the Cardinals. OK, OK. So that's not exactly news.
- They also conclude that Jake Arrieta is a much better bet for long-term success compared to Kyle Hendricks.
From the Daily Herald
Today's food for thought
- Here's the mysterious phenomenon of gravity darkening.