The name Tuesday derives from the Old English "Tiwesdæg" and literally means "Tiw's Day". Tiw is the Old English form of the Proto-Germanic god Tîwaz, or Týr in Norse, a god of war and law. Thank you, Wikipedia.
From ESPN Chicago:
- [Insider - $] Jim Bowden still thinks Starlin Castro to Yankees for Brett Gardner makes sense. And he has other thoughts, too - Five trades he'd like to see happen.
- [Insider - $] Buster Olney says that Jake Arrieta is the #2 starting pitcher in the National League. Who's better? Why? Who's gonna tell Jake?
- Carrie Muskat: Corey Black determined to succeed as a reliever. Black was moved out of a starting role in 2015. He was not placed on the 40-man roster.
- Jonathan Mayo: Jeimer Candelario is among 10 breakout AFL prospects. The third baseman made enough of an impression to be placed on the 40-man roster.
From Bleacher Nation:
- Brett Taylor: Dave Kaplan busts out the rumors. David Price still likes Toronto, the rumors about Jeff Samardzija and John Lackey are legit, and other items of interest featuring the likes of Jason Heyward, Carlos Carrasco, Julio Teheran, Shelby Miller, and Miguel Montero.
- Michael Cerami: Getting to know new Cubs reliever Spencer Patton. Patton was a 24th-round pick of the Kansas City Royals. What does he throw? How can he help? Answers.
- Brett Taylor: Cubs or Giants more likely for Lackey? Alliterative elucidation of the topic. The St. Louis Cardinals and the Boston Red Sox are also involved.
From Cubs Den:
- John Arguello has also been listening to David Kaplan's updated offseason outlook. He offers more details and a few thoughts.
From Cubs Insider:
- Evan Altman: The Rundown: Cubs clean up at Esurance awards, bullets from around the league. Jake Arrieta beat out Bryce Harper. The Castro/Gardner thing is so last week. The Yankees want pitching now.
- Cubs may reportedly prefer Zack Greinke over David Price. Awesome headline. Statements from Theo Epstein and Buster Olney bolster this supposition.
- Paul Hoynes: Why didn't the Cleveland Indians protect Hector Rondon in the Rule 5 draft? Good answers.
- John Lackey a likely fit for the club. Slightly misleading headline but a good summary of possibilities.
- David Price really might want to stay in Toronto. They are far and away his first choice, says the article.
Food for thought:
- Falling Phobos will eventually put a ring around Mars. Alliteration would seem to be the order of the day. At any rate, Mars' moon is on a one-way dead-end street. We won't be here to see them, but those rings look spectacular.
- "Resurrection Plants" that come back from the dead could lead to drought-resistant crops. Subsistence farming may also be a key to the future.
- Astronauts discover previously-unknown cluster of nothingness in deep space. Did Scott Kelly tweet a photo of a UFO? Discover hitherto-unknown relationships between the two.