All the news, printed to fit:
- Anthony Rizzo had a fan Q&A on Twitter. He's raised more than a million dollars with his anti-cancer foundation and considers that his biggest accomplishment. Also, he gets in a good dig at Dan Haren.
From the Chicago Tribune:
- Bernie Lincicome "weighs in": Does Sammy Sosa deserve Hall of Fame votes? You make the call...there's a lot of resistance to the so-called "tainted" athletes being enshrined among the other candidates for sainthood in Cooperstown.
From Cubs Den:
- John Arguello: Playing Catch-Up: Thoughts on the Cubs' offseason so far and the options ahead as the hot stove will begin to warm up pretty soon. Cubs concentrating on pitching depth at this juncture, with Pierce Johnson added to the 40-man and Drew Rucinski, Ryan Cook, Andury Acevedo, Jeff Leathersich, Spencer Patton, and Rex Brothers added to the mix.
From Bleacher Nation:
- Brett Taylor: Let's break down a suggested Cubs-Braves trade involving Shelby Miller and prospects. A different version of an argument also presented at Bleed Cubbie Blue, based on a Jim Duquette article. Willson Contreras and Billy McKinney?
- Brett also has a "Must Read" on Jon Lester and pitch sequencing, extrapolating from a Fangraphs article. Good reading in both cases about the scientific side of pitching.
- Brett also says that there will be no National League DH in the next CBA, and opines about a few other things like beat writing and inequity between the leagues.
From Cubs Insider:
- Evan Altman picks up the alliteration dime and asks does David Price's lost leverage lift likelihood Cubs land lefty? That lost leverage would be the signing of J.A. Happ.
- In his Rundown, Evan talks about MLB in Europe, David Price sitting pretty, and the amount of smoke in FA talks. What a difference a day makes.
- Chicago Cubs Online: Alex Gordon continues to be connected to the Cubs and other news and rumors. So where do you put him? Alliteration amasses additional attention. John Lackey, J.A. Happ speculations.
- CCO: Chris Kulawik has a free agent profile on David Price. Information about the pitcher, and the inclusion of the position profile links. All are interesting reading.
- SI: Jaws and the 2016 Hall of Fame voting: Sammy Sosa. A case more or less for inclusion, or at the very least for persistence of memory.
- MLB Trade Rumors' Charlie Wilmoth: Central Notes: Cardinals, Samardzija, Cubs, Indians. Quotes Paul Sullivan article.
- Cubbies Crib: Is there interest in upgrading behind the plate? Not much info, but a good question. Who exactly would be an upgrade, and how would he/they be acquired? Feel free to chime in.
- [Audio]: NPR: Not my job - we quiz the owner of the Chicago Cubs on victory parades.
- Yahoo Sports: Who is baseball's biggest turkey? Sam Dyson doesn't hold a candle to the others.
Food for thought:
- McGill University has a course for you: Food for thought. "Eating well and understanding the nuances of food has become a complicated and often confusing experience."
- NPR: Rooftop farming is getting off the ground. A higher-level method of cultivation, long used in science fiction stories, turns out to be a really good idea.
- BBC: Back to Earth, a US rocket has been found in the sea just off Sicily. The big metal plate comes from an as-yet unidentified craft.