Welcome to the Hot Stove League. I recommend the Blue Plate Special.
From Comcast Sportsnet Chicago:
- In non-David Price news, Chicago Cubs bench coach Dave Martinez is expected to be among the candidates for the Dodgers' managerial position. He has plenty of company.
From CBS Chicago:
- Bruce Levine reports that the Cubs are doing their homework on Alex Gordon and Jason Heyward.
From the Chicago Tribune:
- The Cubs have top free agent starters, and Jeff Samardzija in their sights. I like they way they put that. Italics mine.
From the Chicago Sun-Times:
- Do the Cubs have the cash to meet David's Price -- or Zack Greinke's or Jeff Samardzija's? They're very likely to try to get a top FA pitcher. Who will it be?
- Jordan Zimmermann is a dark horse for the Cubs in Free Agency. It could be. He has the qualifications for the position. Sports Illustrated says it is he that will be wearing Cubbie Blue next season.
- Rick Telander writes that the Cubs should take stock of how the Royals got it done. Of course they should. But that doesn't mean slavishly imitating them with completely different personnel, with different skillsets.
- The Cubs are the odds-on favorite for David Price, writes a Sun-Times scribe. Buster Olney said so (Insider-$). So did Ken Rosenthal. But they're not involved in the negotiations.
From the Daily Herald:
- Bruce Miles reports that the Cubs will look to strike quickly in free agency. But don't expect a signing frenzy, because baseball doesn't have a salary cap like some other sports.
From Cubs Den:
- John Arguello shares notes on the Cubs' future, David Price, AFL. Contreras hurt, Rob Zastryzny shines, the big trade, and more.
- North Side Irish shares the rumor thread:Just Getting Started, Law's Top 50, Qualifying Offers, Heyward, Alex Gordon, Jordan Zimmermann, Zack Greinke, Tomas, Hill and More. Plenty of chewables. There really are only so many links.
From Bleacher Nation:
- Jed Hoyer Speaks: Offseason Planning, Multiple Pitchers, and More. Brett Taylor speculates on what the Cubs G.M.'s words mean. Which "multiple pitchers" was he referring to?
- Brett posts that the Cubs are David Price's first choice. He's not alone in that. It has been widely reported.
- Brett also makes some educated guesses, now that free agency is officially open. Price, Johnny Cueto, Zimmermann, John Lackey, Samardzija, Denard Span, Austin Jackson are the names floated on the surface.
- Chicago Cub Rumors reports that Jed Hoyer says that the qualifying offer won't be the decisive factor for the Cubs, and other bon mots.
- MLB Daily Dish writes that the Cubs are heavy favorites to sign David Price. He cites Buster Olney and Price's famous quote from the 2014 All-Star break, and quotes Dave Cameron from Fangraphs.
Today's Food for Thought:
- The Sun stole part of Mars' atmosphere, and NASA was watching. Words and pictures about the MAVEN Mission, and what it means to the search for Life on Mars.
- Party Animals: Self-Medicating Monkeys Gobble Pain-killing Bark. People do it too. Monkey see?
- We were promised flying cars: Toyota is funding research into self-driving automobiles. They'd have to be computer-controlled.