Cub Tracks attacks the spread while everyone else talks business. Minus lots of the latest John Lackey columns by everybody, because you've already been there.
From Comcast Sportsnet Chicago:
- Patrick Mooney: Theo Epstein: Cubs couldn't compete for David Price at Red Sox level. Red Sox have payroll muscle the Cubs haven't developed yet. More heavy lifting yet to be done.
- Mooney: Cubs see center-field possibilities for Javier Baez. Contrary to previous reports, the Cubs have Baez in their center field thoughts. He's playing the position in winter ball.
From CBS Chicago:
- Bruce Levine: Cubs' signing of John Lackey a solid short-term strategy. Levine submits that the move buys the Cubs some time for their minor league system to develop young pitching while adding a veteran who has vast big-game experience.
- Phil Rogers: Lackey driven to help Cubs reach the promised land. As for Lackey, he said it in October. He's playing for the rings.
- Cubs top 30 prospects list. Gleyber Torres heads up the impressive list of young players.
- Carrie Muskat: In "winning window", Cubs out to fine-tune at Winter Meetings. Center field, bench, trade talk, and more. Discussion of the possibilities as the meetings loom.
From the Chicago Tribune:
- Task at hand: The Cubs' goals for the winter meetings. Center field, bullpen, bench, upgrades. More speculation on the eve of winter meetings.
From the Chicago Sun-Times:
- Cubs expect wild winter meetings as they address center field and more pitching needs. Theo Epstein says he’s still keeping options open in both the free agent and trade markets and isn’t willing to dismiss a significant position player free agent – in part because the front office is exploring moves to free up more payroll dollars.
From Cubs Den:
- John Arguello: Levine: Cubs interested in lefty Wei-Yin Chen. Chen gave up a lot of homers. Could he be susceptible to Bosmosis?
From Bleacher Nation:
- Brett Taylor: Report: Cubs actively exploring trade for top closer. Jerry Crasnick tweet fuels speculation. Which top closer? How much?
- Luke Blaize: Cubs prospects part two: Billy McKinney. A look at the players' past and possibilities.
- From SB Nation sister site Purple Row: Meet the newest member of the Rockies, relief pitcher Brian Schlitter. Colorado signed relief pitcher Brian Schlitter, a cast-off from the Chicago Cubs who gets ground balls and has shown a plus-plus hair/beard combination.
- The 11 coolest jobs in Chicago. Darryl Wilson has a really cool Cubs job.
- From Cubbies Crib: Chicago Cubs should include Willson Contreras and Billy McKinney in trade. Tim Stebbins recommends that the two be included in any deal, since "there is no room" for McKinney and Contreras has value.
- Chicago Cubs Online: Alex Gordon remains strong possibility for the Cubs. Peter Gammons held that opinion on the Score Saturday morning.
Food for thought:
- Controversial experiment sees no evidence that the universe is a hologram. Sorry, Neo. Scientists at Fermilab say no.
- Tim Peake will run the 2016 London Marathon. In Space. The British astronaut has plans to participate despite his disadvantageous location.
- Things are looking bad for bananas. The fruit is threatened by a fungus called Panama disease. But it'll be a while. Don't start stockpiling yet.