Just to show you how different this year's team will be, and how many major changes have occurred since a year ago at this time, have a look at last year's Cubs By The Numbers. Of the 64 players who began spring training with the Cubs in February 2014, just 33 will be in camp when it opens February 19. That's a tremendous amount of turnover in just one year.
A few players have changed numbers from their previous Cub numbers or numbers they wore with other teams:
- As depicted above, and as you know, Jon Lester switches from No. 31, which he wore with the Red Sox and Athletics, to No. 34. 31, of course, has been retired by the Cubs. See below for more info on No. 34.
- Jason Motte reclaims the No. 30 he wore with the Cardinals, so Mike Olt switches to No. 20.
- Miguel Montero wore No. 26, another Cubs retired number, with the Diamondbacks, so he's switching to No. 47.
- Tsuyoshi Wada switches from No. 67 to No. 18. 18 is considered a lucky number by many Japanese pitchers.
- Henry Blanco's old number 24 was taken by Dexter Fowler, so he'll wear No. 64.
- Two former Cubs, Kerry Wood and Rick Sutcliffe, in camp as instructors, will wear their old Cub uniform numbers (34 and 40 respectively), even though those have been assigned to players.
Here's your complete guide to spring training numbers. Some players could wind up switching numbers before Opening Day.
* denotes non-roster invitee
1 Gary Jones (third-base coach) 2 John Mallee (hitting coach) 3 David Ross 4 Dave Martinez (bench coach) 5 Welington Castillo 6 Ryan Sweeney 7 Arismendy Alcantara 8 Chris Coghlan 9 Javier Baez 10 Ron Santo (retired) 11 Tommy La Stella
12 Taylor Teagarden *
13 Starlin Castro 14 Ernie Banks (retired) 15 Chris Denorfia
16 Chris Valaika *
17 Brandon Hyde (first-base coach) 18 Tsuyoshi Wada
19 Jonathan Herrera *
20 Mike Olt 21 Junior Lake 22 Felix Doubront 23 Ryne Sandberg (retired) 24 Dexter Fowler 25 Chris Bosio (pitching coach) 26 Billy Williams (retired) 28 Kyle Hendricks 30 Jason Motte 31 Fergie Jenkins/Greg Maddux (retired) 32 Dallas Beeler
33 Mike Baxter *
34 Kerry Wood (spring-training instructor)
34 Jon Lester 35 Lester Strode (bullpen coach) 36 Edwin Jackson 37 Travis Wood 38 Jacob Turner 39 Jason Hammel
40 Rick Sutcliffe (spring-training instructor)
40 Adron Chambers *
41 Matt Szczur 43 Eric Jokisch 44 Anthony Rizzo 45 Logan Watkins * 46 Pedro Strop 47 Miguel Montero
48 Francisley Bueno *
49 Jake Arrieta 50 Blake Parker 51 Rafael Lopez 52 Justin Grimm 54 Neil Ramirez
55 Daniel Bard *
56 Hector Rondon 58 Mike Borzello (catching coach) 59 Zac Rosscup
60 Joseph Ortiz
61 Christian Villanueva
62 Donn Roach *
63 Brian Schlitter 64 Henry Blanco (quality-control coach) 65 Franklin Font (staff assistant) 66 Drake Britton 67 Doug Dascenzo (outfield/baserunning coordinator) 68 Jorge Soler 70 Joe Maddon (manager)
71 Hunter Cervenka *
72 Jorge De Leon *
73 Anthony Carter *
74 Kyle Schwarber *
75 Addison Russell *
76 Kris Bryant *
77 Eric Hinske (assistant hitting coach)
78 Albert Almora *
79 C.J. Edwards
80 Pierce Johnson *
81 Armando Rivero *
82 Corey Black *
83 Adam Melhuse (spring-training instructor)
85 Desi Wilson (spring-training instructor)
87 Bruce Walton (spring-training instructor)
88 Kyle Phillips (spring-training instructor)
89 Carmelo Martinez (spring-training instructor)
90 Mike Mason (spring-training instructor)
91 Marty Pevey (spring-training instructor)
92 Jose Flores (spring-training instructor)
93 Brian Harper (spring-training instructor)
94 Buddy Bailey (spring-training instructor)
95 Chad Noble (bullpen catcher) 97 Tim Cossins (spring-training instructor)
98 Derek Johnson (spring-training instructor)
99 Anthony Iapoce (spring-training instructor)