From Comcast SportsNet Chicago:
- The Cubs are hoping that Jorge Soler will be able to play at least 130 games this season. He seems to be ready to play linebacker right now, packing 240 pounds on his 6-foot-4-inch frame.
- Miguel Montero doesn't believe in leaving anything in the tank. In his words, he wants to leave every game drained and wants to be really drained by the end of the season.
- Kyle Hendricks is currently locked in as the fourth pitcher in the rotation. Patrick Mooney writes that Travis Wood is believed to have the inside track for the final slot.
- Mooney also says that the Cubs are obsessed with the Boston Red Sox. It might be because the Cubs have 19 ex-Red Sox in camp as players, coaches, and staffers.
- Joe Maddon believes that Kris Bryant is ready for Opening Day. Maybe not the Opening Day, but one of those other Opening Days.
- Maddon also shared his memories of White Sox legend Minnie Minoso.
- After announcing his retirement last week, Juan Pierre took to social media to give thanks to the Cubs and White Sox for his time with each team.
- This is pretty cool... if the Cubs win the World Series in 2015, the Volo Auto Museum in Volo, Illinois will give away their exhibition model 1981 DeLorean to one lucky visitor of the museum. The contest begins March 21.
- Dexter Fowler recalls playing against the Triple-A Iowa Cubs last season as part of a rehab assignment and going back to Houston raving about how good the Cubs were going to be.
- Justin Grimm is glad to know his role with the Cubs after a strong finish to the 2014 season.
- Pedro Strop is just happy to have his health after a car accident during the offseason.
- Joe Maddon is not a morning person, but he's confident that the energy from the Wrigley Field crowd will help him during those day games. Those games better sell out, then.
- Starlin Castro is also glad to have Manny Ramirez with the team.
From ESPN Chicago:
- [AUDIO] Miguel Montero talks with Jesse Rogers about topics including his trade from the Diamondbacks and his straightforward approach with pitchers.
- It's time for Five Questions with... Starlin Castro!
- [VIDEO] ESPN SportsCenter on the Road presents a conversation with Tom Ricketts.
- David Schoenfield previews the leadoff hitters of the National League.
- There's another entry in the diary of C.J. Edwards. This entry includes his feelings from the first days of camp and winning a dance-off with Addison Russell as his partner. Still no word on his favorite ice cream flavor.
From CBS Chicago:
- Steve Miller of WBBM Radio 780 reports that the Cubs will ask the city of Chicago to be able to start working 24 hours a day on the renovations at Wrigley Field.
- After hearing the comments from Tony Clark about the MLB Players Association watching what the Cubs do with Kris Bryant, Theo Epstein had a retort of his own on Sunday with Barry Rozner.
- If you've been considering going to Arizona to watch Spring Training but weren't sure whether or not to do it, Laurence Holmes implores you to do so. Why? Because it's good for the soul.
From the Chicago Tribune via RedEye Chicago:
- To what does Dexter Fowler attribute his ability to get on base so well? A simple tip from his father.
- Two of the rooftop organizations -- The Lakeview Baseball Club and Skybox on Sheffield -- have disclosed their profit at risk from a video board installed in right field.
- So I saw this story about how Geovany Soto is hoping to contribute with the White Sox and the first thing that went through my mind was: when the heck did Soto sign a minor-league deal with the White Sox? Then I find out that it happened on January 22 and I felt really oblivious.
From the Chicago Sun-Times:
- Gordon Wittenmyer looks the high marks that the Cubs' prospects have received this offseason from the national outlets and asks: What does it really mean?
From the Daily Herald:
- Jason Motte sees his role very simply. When the phone rings for him to get ready, he's going to get ready.
From Bleacher Nation:
- Is it possible that the Cubs might not go on a massive spending spree in the upcoming international free agent period?
- MLB Network has released its list of the top 100 players in baseball right now... and it's not very Cubs-friendly.
- Luis Medina gives readers an introduction to lefty reliever Drake Britton.
From Chicago Cubs Online:
- Here's more of the transcript of the Theo Epstein interview with Barry Rozner from Sunday on The Score.
- Nick Cafardo reports that interest from teams is picking up in Welington Castillo. No specific teams are mentioned, however.
From Cubs Insider:
- Nate Schmidt looks at the left-handed reliever options for the Cubs to replace Wesley Wright.
Today's food for thought: Today we present "Tales of the Weird -- and Somewhat Humorous".
- How would you like to be a woodpecker flying with a baby weasel on your back?
- Here's a photo gallery of motor vehicles from history that never really caught on.
- And, finally... This one just struck me as too funny to not include here. Courtesy of my search of the Sun-Times: A 21-year old man from Nebraska was cited for possession of 11.4 grams of marijuana. It was found by police in the man's car in a sour cream container labeled -- no, I'm not making this up -- "Not Weed".