Is writing Cub Tracks like riding a bike? I'm not sure, but I'm happy to fill in for Russ today. Since he's at a basketball-officiating camp, we want him to feel missed. So...
Are you blind?!?! You blew the call ref!
Hope you enjoyed the camp, Russ. Oh, and we also get a hand from Al today, who finished this column off. It's a true team effort today. Enough with the nonsense, on with the links. Wanna guess who is being talked about?
From Comcast SportsNet Chicago:
- The wait is over. Kris Bryant has arrived.
- And Kris says there is no bad blood over the service time issue.
- Here's a video of Kris talking about making his debut.
- And Bryant says the journey is just starting.
- Where does Bryant fit in long-term? Some quotes from Joe Maddon here.
- Let's move on to the next shiny new toy. The team thinks Addison Russell is the next big thing down on the farm. COMMENCE ADDISON WATCH!
- Next to Bryant and Russell, Jorge Soler is a grizzled veteran. And he could be the next superstar.
- In case you missed it, Neil Ramirez got a little good news. A MRI revealed no structural damage in the reliever's shoulder.
- Kris' call-up wasn't scripted for service time. It was all about a time of need.
- Starlin Castro thinks Bryant's debut was right in line with other stars.
- If you didn't see this, Bryant had an emotional moment with his family before the big debut.
- The first game at the plate didn't go the way Bryant would've hoped. But he showed well at the hot corner.
- Mike Olt, unfortunately, might be in a cast for up to four weeks.
From ESPN Chicago:
- It's time to enjoy Kris Bryant.
- And the young slugger is ready to make an impact.
- Kris talks about his debut.
- Here's Bryant's debut in Twitter time.
- Cubs bench coach Dave Martinez went searching in the ivy after Friday's incident and found something ancient.
From CBS Chicago:
- Bryant is a different breed of player.
- Kris' bond with his father makes his debut special.
- That debut was a success, despite some failure.
- I hereby issue a BCB challenge: Top these Kris Bryant memes.
From the Chicago Tribune:
- Kris Bryant's promotion could cause a chain reaction in the rest of the organization.
- One of those chains is Addison Russell, who has impressed Theo Epstein.
- For his part, Bryant feels no pressure.
- Travis Wood, Welington Castillo, and Edwin Jackson have something in common: they are survivors.
- Bruce Levine has the story of Bryant's second big-league day, which turned out much better than his first.
From the Chicago Sun-Times:
- Addison Russell is next on the clock.
- ABC7 hit a grand slam with Bryant's debut.
- It was an emotional day for the whole Bryant family.
- There's a Kris Bryant poem.
From the Daily Herald:
- Matt Spiegel says the Cubs are rolling in the right direction.
- Here are images from Kris Bryant in the minors and college.
- Former Cub manager and current Cincinnati Reds' coach Jim Riggleman remembers the instant electricity Kerry Wood brought to the park when he was promoted.
From Cubs Den:
- Here's an update on the Cubs' IFA plans this summer. SIGN ALL THE CHILDREN!
From Bleacher Nation:
- Happy Kris Bryant Day, everyone.
- The Cubs are going to blow out the IFA budget again.
- The Cubs have figured out a clever way to use some outfield signage.
- Cubs tickets are still expensive.
From Chicago Cubs Online:
From Cubs Insider:
- Arbitrary home run facts prove the Cubs are getting better.
- The Cubs are putting the "fun" and "mental" in fundamental.
- The Cubs don't need any comic book movie remakes. They have their own superhero in right field.
- Here's a video produced by Red Bull -- yes, it's a commercial enterprise, but a cool video nevertheless -- showing what Kris Bryant was doing at Iowa before his callup... besides baseball. Humorous and with a number of faces that should be quite familiar to you, but a little too much "goat," perhaps.
Today's food for thought:
- Here's your nightmare: sea creatures with human teeth.
- This futuristic jet engine is very real.
- Helicopters can give a cool view of skyscrapers.
- A golf cart ran amuck at Loyola University Chicago. Amusing video included.