As you likely know, I'm into Cubs uniform numbers. Co-authored, along with Kasey Ignarski and Matt Silverman, a book on the topic, and this gives me an opportunity to let you know that we are working on a second edition of the book, updated through the 2015 season. It'll be out sometime in the spring.
The Cubs have released their full camp roster and here it is, by the numbers. There are 58 total players in camp, the 40-man roster plus 18 non-roster invitees. A few notes:
- The Cubs are, for the time being at least, keeping Starlin Castro's old No. 13 out of circulation. Many players won't wear it for superstitious reasons, but it's become a favorite of shortstops from Latin American countries.
- Tommy La Stella and hitting coach John Mallee switched numbers.
- Other numbers worn last year that don't have a taker as of now: 21, 24, 30 and 36.
- John Lackey, who has worn No. 41 his entire career, takes that number as a Cub. Matt Szczur, who has worn No. 41 throughout his Cubs major-league career, switches to No. 20.
- Pedro Strop was spotted wearing a No. 48 jersey at the Cubs Convention opening ceremony, but he's sticking with the No. 46 he's worn since he came to the Cubs.
- Pierce Johnson wore a No. 32 jersey at the Convention, but in camp he'll wear No. 80.
* denotes non-roster invitee
1 Gary Jones (third-base coach) 2 Tommy La Stella 3 David Ross 4 Dave Martinez (bench coach) 5 Juan Perez * 6 Carl Edwards Jr. 7 Arismendy Alcantara 8 Chris Coghlan 9 Javier Baez 10 Ron Santo (retired) 11 John Mallee (hitting coach) 12 Kyle Schwarber 14 Ernie Banks (retired) 15 Tim Federowicz * 16 Brandon Hyde (first-base coach) 17 Kris Bryant 18 Ben Zobrist 19 Kristopher Negron * 20 Matt Szczur
21 Matt Murton
22 Jason Heyward 23 Ryne Sandberg (retired) 25 Chris Bosio (pitching coach) 26 Billy Williams (retired) 27 Addison Russell 28 Kyle Hendricks
29 Jesus Guzman * 31 Fergie Jenkins/Greg Maddux (retired)
32 Dallas Beeler 33 Clayton Richard 34 Jon Lester 35 Lester Strode (bullpen coach) 37 Travis Wood 38 Jonathan Pettibone * 39 Jason Hammel 40 Spencer Patton
41 John Lackey
42 Jackie Robinson (retired by MLB)
43 Adam Warren 44 Anthony Rizzo 45 Eric Jokisch
46 Pedro Strop
47 Miguel Montero 48 Brandon Gomes * 49 Jake Arrieta 50 Rex Brothers 51 Jack Leathersich * 52 Justin Grimm 53 Trevor Cahill 54 Neil Ramirez 55 Drew Rucinski * 56 Hector Rondon
57 Stephen Fife *
58 Mike Borzello (catching coach) 59 Zac Rosscup
60 C.J. Riefenhauser
61 Christian Villanueva 62 Edgar Olmos 63 Jean Machi * 64 Henry Blanco (quality-control coach) 65 Franklin Font (staff assistant) 66 Munenori Kawasaki *
67 Doug Dascenzo (spring-training instructor)
68 Jorge Soler
70 Joe Maddon (manager)
71 Duane Underwood *
72 John Andreoli *
74 Dan Vogelbach
75 Jeimer Candelario 76 Willson Contreras
77 Eric Hinske (assistant hitting coach) 78 Albert Almora *
79 Andury Acevedo
80 Pierce Johnson 81 Armando Rivero * 82 Taylor Davis *
83 Felix Pena *
84 (spring-training instructor) 85 Desi Wilson (spring-training instructor)
86 Mike Mason (spring-training instructor)
87 Ryan Williams
89 Mark Johnson (spring-training instructor) 90 Rod Nichols (spring-training instructor) 91 Marty Pevey (spring-training instructor) 93 Brian Harper (spring-training instructor) 94 Andy Haines (spring-training instructor) 95 Chad Noble (bullpen catcher)
96 Jim Brower (spring-training instructor)
97 Tim Cossins (spring-training instructor) 98 Terry Clark (spring-training instructor)