When I lived in the western ‘burbs, I used to do my wash at a favorite laundry, which was next door to a liquor store. An ideal arrangement, to be sure. I used to go on Sunday mornings. Nowadays, I’m quite a bit further west, but I still enjoy a small libation with my brunch on a Sunday, and still do my laundry at the same time. Won’t you join me?
Thursday, we cleared another Hurdle, talked about Tommy’s back, Kyle’s arm, Addison’s glove, Javy’s secret, and other items of Cub interest, and sorted our socks. Today, we have more items about laundry to cheer about in this Cub era.
Saturday, Jake faced Madbum in the third of four. The Cubs had already taken the first two games. Both pitched well. Both teams had moments. Justin Grimm had a belt while he was on the mound. The Cubs had a couple of shots but came up short.
Here’s a Sunday sports section for you, minus all those other teams. As always * means autoplay on (directions to remove for Firefox and Chrome).
- Wendy Thurm (The Sporting News): Cubs are great, but are they really on a path to World Series? “All things considered, the Cubs are well-positioned for October baseball.”
- CBS Sports: Cubs’ chances of winning World Series are more than twice that of any other team. According to 538.com.
- Rick Morrissey (Chicago Sun-Times): How is it supposed to be better than this for the Cubs? “...death by a thousand decimal points.”
- Neil Greenberg (The Washington Post): The Cubs are about to win 100 games. It means nothing. Here’s why. Because playoffs. Articles cites Pythagorean projections without noting that the Cubs are underperforming theirs.
- ESPN: The Cubs' Chase: In pursuit of history. All the articles. Clear your calendar.
- Tony Andracki (CSN Chicago*): Kris Bryant, Kyle Hendricks take home monthly accolades. Player of the Month and Pitcher of the Month for August.
- Carrie Muskat (MLB.com): Kris Bryant appreciates 'M-V-P' chants from fans. “This will be one of the seasons I'll remember for a long time,” he said.
- Evan Altman (Cubs Insider): Kris Bryant had himself an august August. August and robust; a singular achievement.
- Aldo Soto (Sports Mockery): Hawk Harrelson said Todd Frazier is better than Kris Bryant. I don’t think Frazier even says that in private. What a moran.
- Bruce Miles (Daily Herald): Anthony Rizzo celebrates beating cancer by giving back. Rizzo spends a good part of his off-field time visiting kids in hospitals and raising money for his anti-Cancer foundation.
- Jesse Rogers (ESPN): Eight years later, Anthony Rizzo recalls overcoming cancer. His foundation has raised more than 2 million dollars.
- CBS Sports: David Ross On Addison Russell: ‘Keeps stepping up to the challenge’. He says it with his play.
- Patrick Mooney (CSN Chicago*): Addison Russell: The new Mr. October? Mooney erects straw man, stirs drink. October isn’t here yet.
- Cat Garcia (Wrigleyville-Baseball Prospectus): Jorge Soler and the virtue of patience. With reasserting his plate discipline, Soler has regained his position in the lineup.
- Carrie Muskat (MLB.com): Mike Montgomery unsure of role upon Lackey's return. His status is up in the air.
- Evan Altman (Cubs Insider): Lester and Hendricks changing perception by doing same thing in different ways. They help their team win baseball games.
- Tim Stebbins (Fansided): Hector Rondon to provide a much needed boost to ‘pen. Rondon can lock down the 8th or make the save.
- Isaac Bennett (Wrigleyville-Baseball Prospectus): Bijan Rademacher: Good enough to choose. Outfielder was originally a highly-touted pitcher, but he loved hitting.
- Paul Sullivan (Chicago Tribune): Cubs official denies bullpen move to bleachers delayed. Julian Green denied a Tribune report.
- Michael Cerami (Bleacher Nation): Theo Epstein’s contract extension is still, you know, probably coming eventually. “We expect to get it done here soon,” Epstein said, in an interview.
- Joe DePaulo (Mediaite): Things got a little awkward with Jon Lovitz in the Chicago Cubs broadcast booth. That was bad. Rick Sutcliffe, on the other hand...
Food for thought.
- Greg Uyeno (Live Science): Alien Interpreters? How linguists would talk to E.T. "There's no right answer to the question," Jesse Snedeker said.
- Mary Beth Griggs (Popular Science): New plastic fabric keeps its cool better than cotton. And you don’t have to kill any polyesters.
- Jamie Leventhal (Popular Science): The science of grilling: How a grill gives a steak its flavor. [VIDEO]
reductio ad absurdum