Cub Tracks still loves Yu. You can take that to the bank, but it won’t get you anything but wet.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. — Rogers Hornsby
98 days til Opening Day. 98 days on the wall...is it spring training yet? I’m about to join the Rajah at his window. The Hot Stove can only go so far, especially in slow motion.
There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball. — Bill Veeck
Beats road construction, I suppose. I keep half an eye on the Blackhawks but seriously...the Bears? The Bulls?
Nuh-uh. Reductio ad absurdum. Let’s see if we can find some news. Ready? Scroll down — as always * means autoplay on™ (directions to remove for Firefox and Chrome).
Today in Cubs history:
- 1960 - Cub owner P.K. Wrigley announces the club will not have a manager next season, but will instead use a college of coaches. The 'faculty' for the upcoming campaign will include El Tappe, Charlie Grimm, Goldie Holt, Bobby Adams, Harry Craft, Verlon Walker, Ripper Collins, and Vedie Himsl, with each serving as "head coach" for part of the season.
- Happy birthday: Dave Kingman and LaTroy Hawkins
Cubs news and notes:
I’ve had go Cubs go playing in my head since Thursday... thankful for this opportunity and beyond thrilled to be a Cub! #gocubsgoooo #praisetheLord #letsgo! https://t.co/0RQvPT6Yck— Steve Cishek (@srSHREK31) December 16, 2017
Ryan Court is the new Mike Freeman.
Hoyer also told us that they’ve had 6-8 in person meetings with free agents this winter. Either in Chicago, or at the players hometown... not just meeting with Darvish @MLBNetworkRadio— Jim Duquette (@Jim_Duquette) December 20, 2017
The Cubs stayed under the Luxury Tax threshold for 2017.
#Cubs GM Jed Hoyer confirms having a "really nice meeting" this week with Yu Darvish on #PowerAlley pic.twitter.com/XGnf2zUIoP— MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM (@MLBNetworkRadio) December 20, 2017
- Tony Andracki (NBC Sports Chicago*): Why Yu Darvish makes more sense for Cubs than Jake Arrieta or Alex Cobb. “The decline of Arrieta is real, if exaggerated. Cobb is asking for a three- or four-year deal and more money...”
- Brendan Miller (Cubs Insider): Should Yu Darvish’s health history scare us? “What’s not encouraging, though, is his sudden change in release point as 2017 faded.”
- Gordon Wittenmyer (Chicago Sun-Times*): Pursuit of Darvish underscores Cubs’ renewed mu$cle since lean years. ‘‘very good meeting’’
- Zack Moser (Wrigleyville-Baseball Prospectus): 2017 player profile: Jon Lester. “... there’s likely some corrections to be made mechanically.”
- Tony Andracki (NBC Sports Chicago*): Butterfly Effect: How Evan Longoria helped the Cubs end their World Series drought. He “knocked out Theo Epstein's Boston Red Sox...”
- Randy Holt (Wrigleyville-Baseball Prospectus): 2017 player profile: Kyle Schwarber. “...the love that this front office possesses for Schwarber is very real.”
- Jesse Rogers (ESPN*): 'I want to be an MVP. I want to be a Gold Glover': Schwarber is on a mission. “He isn't just looking for a comeback season after a rocky 2017. He wants more -- much more.”
- Luke Blaize (Bleacher Nation): The Cubs’ farm system has a steady supply of outfielders, with depth up high and impact down low. “...for the most part, they profile more as bench players than regular starters.”
We have teamed up with the Bears, Blackhawks, Bulls and White Sox to work on a vital social issue facing Chicago – stopping violence. pic.twitter.com/fbx15CSICo— Chicago Cubs (@Cubs) December 20, 2017
Calling all young ballplayers! Registration is now open for our baseball summer camps: https://t.co/GeUyfyodEx #CubsKids pic.twitter.com/TFBLjWvQhu— Chicago Cubs (@Cubs) December 20, 2017
Food for thought:
Shine on, you crazy gamma ray burst. https://t.co/OYcsjLH6Tb— Science News (@ScienceNews) December 20, 2017
This could be a world record!https://t.co/3365AlyINF— ScienceAlert (@ScienceAlert) December 20, 2017
Why Most of Us Lean to the Right When We Kiss https://t.co/1ZOlT4QxE9 pic.twitter.com/TRfwnRFoFV— Live Science (@LiveScience) December 20, 2017
Three shopping days til Xmas. Two-day delivery now takes a week. Thanks for reading, and Happy Holidays.