Does anyone remember the last offseason when we had the “cold stove league”? It’s looking like we’re going to have the “icebox league” this winter.
Speaking of that, all of you Midwesterners who are snowed in, stay safe. Better yet, stay home and chat about the Cubs here. You’re pretty much going to have to make up your own rumors at this point, but that’s OK. It’s what Jim Bowden does.
- This would be “big, if true.” The New York Yankees are reportedly considering trying to deal Giancarlo Stanton to open up a spot for either Manny Machado or Bryce Harper.
- Buster Olney reports that the Diamondbacks are seriously considering trading first baseman Paul Goldschmidt. (ESPN+ sub. req.)
- Mike Axisa argues that the GIants need to deal Madison Bumgarner.
- Both Bumgarner and Goldschmidt are on Richard Justice’s list of seven stars rumored to be on the trading block whom Justice thinks shouldn’t be dealt.
- The Cardinals, Phillies and Mets are three teams talking with free agent reliever Andrew Miller.
- The Braves, Twins, Rangers, Padres and Reds are teams talking with the Yankees about pitcher Sonny Gray.
- The Mariners have been aggressive on the trade market this winter, but the team does not expect to trade reliever Edwin Diaz or outfielder Mitch Haniger.
- Mike Petriello argues that the Rays need to be aggressive in adding talent this winter and has some suggestions. No, he doesn’t argue that the Rays should sign Machado or Harper. He does think a deal for Goldschmidt is a good idea, however.
- Gabe Lacques weighs the pros and cons of the Rangers signing Bryce Harper.
- Jayson Stark speculates on the possibility of Harper and Mike Trout both playing together for the Phillies in the near future. (The Athletic sub. req.) It’s not a ridiculous suggestion, but it should be mentioned that Stark wrote for the Philadelphia Inquirer for 20 years.
- The Seibu Lions plan to post pitcher Yusei Kikuchi in early December.
- R.J. Anderson has ten cheaper free agents who could end up being tremendous bargains.
- There was a controversy over the weekend after MLB made a $5,000 donation to the campaign of Mississippi senator Cindy Hyde-Smith, who has made several controversial statements in recent weeks. After the controversy erupted, MLB asked Hyde-Smith to return the money. (It should be noted that the controversy was started by a tweet from Mike Schnur, former baseball blogger at Fire Joe Morgan and the creator of such television shows as The Good Place, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Parks and Recreation.)
- Wayne Cavadi has some interesting names that are available for the Rule 5 Draft.
- Anthony Castrovince names five teams that are in line to have much better seasons in 2019 than they did last year.
- The Royals have hired former Cardinals manager Mike Matheny as a special advisor and both KC and St. Louis fans are united in their dislike for Matheny.
- Frank Jackson reports on the market for game-used merchandise.
- If you’re into the physics of baseball, then you need to check out this article by Jennifer Ouellette on a new study that looks at how the spin of a thrown baseball affects its path.
- Mariners reliever Edwin Diaz went home to Puerto Rico and discovered a mural of himself.
- A Canadian entomologist has named a newly-discovered variety of beetle from the Dominican Republic after former Blue Jays slugger Jose Bautista.
- And finally, Alex Rodriguez used the help of a “Master Mentalist” to pull an epic prank on his girlfriend Jennifer Lopez.
And tomorrow will be a better day than today, Buster.