We can say this for electronic scoreboards: no one is likely to be hit on the noggin by falling debris.
On Tuesday night’s Cubs vs Diamondbacks game, a fan below the centerfield scoreboard narrowly avoided very serious injury, and did so by the strangest kind of luck. The 19-year-old man was hit in the head by a metal pin used to attach the score tiles to the board. The pin, which was between six and eight inches long, caused enough damage that the man needed five staples to close the cut, but he didn’t sustain more serious injuries because he had a plastic bucket on his head.
Yes, you read that right. The young man had a plastic bucket on his head.
Which doesn’t sound all that crazy now that you know it might have saved him from a very serious injury. It is unclear as to whether or not a plastic ice cream helmet would have worked as well.
We’re glad to hear the fan is okay.