Today in baseball history:
- 1912 - In a game at Boston, Chicago star Johnny Evers pushes umpire Bill Finneran after the latter challenges Evers, Heinie Zimmerman, and Frank Chance to fight him under the stands after the game. Evers will be suspended for five days. Red Downs will fill in at 2B for Chicago. (3)
Box score. Jimmy Lavender won in relief over Hub Perdue. BBref’s biography page for Umpire Bill Finneran confirms this story. The next year, July 11, Sherry Magee knocked him out with one punch. This page has that story.
- 1919 - More than 28,000 crowd Wrigley Field to watch Grover Cleveland Alexander shut the Giants out, 2-0. (3)
- 1930 - Before 45,000 fans, the Cubs sweep two from the Boston Braves at Wrigley Field to move a game back of Brooklyn. Hack Wilson drives home seven runs on three homers, the last his 39th, to back up Charlie Root’s three-hit shutout in the opener. The Cubs win, 6 - 0, beating Bob Smith. Pat Malone completes the sweep. twirling a 5-hitter to beat Bruce Cunningham, 11 - 1, in the nightcap. (3)
- 1944 - At Crosley Field, Braves’ hurler Charles ‘Red’ Barrett throws only 58 pitches, beating the Reds, 2-0. The nine-inning night game takes only seventy-five minutes to play. (1)
- 1971 - Sixteen baseball researchers at Cooperstown form the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR). (2)
- 1987 - Phillies pitcher Kevin Gross becomes the second pitcher in eight days to be ejected for scuffing the baseball when umpires discover sandpaper in his glove during the fifth inning of a 4-2 win over the Cubs. Like Joe Niekro, Gross will be suspended for 10 games. (2)
- 2002 - Sammy Sosa hits home runs in consecutive at bats in the third, fourth, and fifth innings, tying a Cubs’ record with nine RBIs, established by Heinie Zimmerman in 1911. With his sixth career three-homer game performance, the Chicago right fielder also ties the major league record set by Johnny Mize and becomes only the fifth player in big league history to homer in three straight innings. (1)
- 2009 - Troy Tulowitzki collects five hits, completing the cycle with a three-bagger in the seventh inning of the Rockies’ 11-5 victory over the Cubs at Coors Field. The Colorado shortstop is the fifth player in franchise history to accomplish the feat, and the sixth major-leaguer that season to have a single, double, triple, and home run in the same game. (1)
Box score. Let’s not talk about it.
- 2017 - Dexter Fowler has a career night as he hits a grand slam and drives in 5 runs to lead St. Louis to an 8 - 6 win over the Royals. It is the 6th straight win for the Cards, who are now back within one game of the first-place Cubs in the NL Central after having trailed by as many as 6 1/2 games in mid-July. (3)
Box score. We know how that turned out. Let’s not talk about that, either.
- (1) — The National Pastime.
- (2) — Today in Baseball History.
- (3) — Baseball Reference.
- (4) — Society for American Baseball Research.
Please note that quotes may have been corrected for spelling and/or grammarical errata. Thanks for playing along.