Cubs President of Baseball Operations Theo Epstein appeared on the Bernstein & McKnight show on 670 The Score Wednesday morning. Part of the discussion revolved around the Cubs’ still-scheduled makeup game in Washington Thursday.
Now, first let me say this is an unusual thing for me to write about since I normally don’t listen to a lot of sports talk radio. But I wanted to hear Theo’s comments on this topic, and he repeated what he’d said over the last couple of days about “common sense”:
Theo Epstein on the Cubs' makeup game scheduled tomorrow in Washington: "Right now, we're in a wait-and-see mode waiting for a common sense solution."— 670 The Score (@670TheScore) September 12, 2018
Theo Epstein on the Cubs' Thursday makeup game: "I know [MLB] would not send us into a situation where there's any danger or risk. And then I cannot imagine they would send us into a situation where there's a chance of rain given what we experienced in Washington last weekend."— 670 The Score (@670TheScore) September 12, 2018
What I found most interesting, though, was not on the Score’s Twitter account. Theo was asked if the Cubs would consider telling MLB, “We’re not going,” and face possible consequences including forfeiting a game.
Theo didn’t say “No.” He said that the team would have a conversation with Cubs players and collectively they’d decide what to do.
I’ll post here again the last of the quotes from that second tweet:
And then I cannot imagine they would send us into a situation where there’s a chance of rain given what we experienced in Washington last weekend.
A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 2pm. Patchy fog before 8am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 81. Northeast wind 7 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a low around 72. East wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Here’s a bit more info on the possible rain in the Washington area tomorrow:
As of Wed morning here's the latest high-res forecast for 4 PM Thursday afternoon. Florence well to the south, but scattered showers/storms in the D.C. area from outer bands. Is it possible rain misses D.C.? Totally. Is it possible it rains and the nightmare continues? Also yep. pic.twitter.com/sBoWYTo65A— Cubs Weather (@cubsweather) September 12, 2018
The way I read Theo’s on-air statements is this: It’s basically a public, broadcast plea to MLB to do the right thing and postpone the game until October 1. Yes, I’m aware that MLB has a postseason schedule that they appear to think is set in stone and can’t have any changes made.
Weather happens. I wrote this Tuesday, but MLB basically has to get over it and understand that weather has wreaked havoc on schedules this month and that they might have to make some adjustments to the postseason schedule.
Time’s moving on. The Cubs are currently scheduled to play the Brewers at Wrigley Wednesday evening and then board a plane for Washington. I’m hoping that sometime later Wednesday, MLB announces that Thursday’s makeup game has been rescheduled for October 1. It’s the right thing to do, period.