... on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, Bleed Cubbie Blue brings a you a lighthearted Cubs-centric look at baseball’s past. Here’s a handy Cubs timeline, to help you follow along as we review select scenes from the rich tapestry of Chicago Cubs and Major League Baseball history*. Beware of rabbit holes.
Today in baseball history:
- 2004 - Free agent OF Moises Alou, who hit .293 with 39 home runs and 106 RBI for the Chicago Cubs, is signed by the San Francisco Giants to a one-year contract with an option for a second year. It will be the second time Alou will be managed by his dad Felipe as he did playing with the Montreal Expos from 1992 to 1996. (1,3)
- 2014 - Cubs SS Starlin Castro is questioned by police in Monte Cristi in the Dominican Republic after a shooting at a nightclub. Castro explains through his agent that he was present but had nothing to do with the incident. (3)
- Cubs birthdays: Bill Bishop, Pete Lamer, Red Lynn, Dutch McCall, Phil Gagliano, Byron Browne, Raul Gonzalez, David Aardsma, Chris Gimenez, Cole Hamels, Dylan Floro.
- (1) — The National Pastime.
- (2) — Today in Baseball History.
- (3) — Baseball Reference.
- (4) — Society for American Baseball Research.
- (5) — Baseball Hall of Fame.
- (6) — This Day in Chicago Cubs history.
*We try to vet each item. Please let us know if an item is in error, especially if you have a source.
Thanks for reading.