Sunday Cubs Cactus League notes:
- The teams’ 194 runs scored are third-most in the Cactus League, trailing only the Royals (209) and Angels (196).
- Albert Almora Jr.’s 19 hits are tied for seventh-most in the Cactus League.
- Mark Zagunis’ four home runs are tied for fourth-most in the Cactus League and his 13 RBI are tied for eighth.
- Johnny Field’s .390 OBP and .928 OPS are both ninth in the Cactus League.
- Cristhian Adames’ 14 runs scored are tied for third in the Cactus League.
- Kyle Schwarber and David Bote are tied for sixth in the Cactus League with nine walks each.
- Allen Webster has allowed just two earned runs in 11 innings, walking three and striking out 11.
- Jose Quintana has a 1.80 ERA (three earned runs in 15 innings), walking three and striking out 12 in four Cactus League outings.
Here are today’s particulars.
Zagunis RF, Adames 3B, Bote 2B, Adduci 1B, Russell SS, Caratini C, Field LF, Evans DH, Bernard CF
After seeing almost all the Cubs regulars in the lineup Saturday night, this is pretty much a couple of Cubs bench players, plus minor leaguers.
Tatis SS, Hedges C, Reyes RF, Myers CF, Renfroe LF, Margot DH, Urias 2B, Pirela 1B, Garcia 3B
Mike Montgomery gets the start for the Cubs. Cubs relievers today: Brad Brach, Tyler Chatwood, Dillon Maples and Allen Webster.
Logan Allen will go for the Padres. Among Padres relievers: Cal Quantrill (who is the son of former MLB pitcher Paul Quantrill).
Today’s game is on WGN-TV and 670 The Score. Yay! Radio AND television coverage in Chicago on the same day! In the San Diego market this game is being carried by the Padres channel, Fox Sports San Diego.
Please note that during spring training, Gameday doesn’t usually go pitch-by-pitch as it does during the regular season — usually, it will update after each at-bat.
Please visit our SB Nation Padres site Gaslamp Ball. If you do go there to interact with Padres fans, please be respectful, abide by their individual site rules and serve as a good representation of Cub fans in general and BCB in particular.
For spring-training games, we’ll have a first-pitch thread at five minutes to game time and one overflow thread, 90 minutes after game time (because I know how you all like overflow threads!). For today, that will be 2 p.m. CT and 3:30 p.m. CT.
These threads will not post individually onto the front page; instead, you can find links to them in the box marked ”Chicago Cubs Game Threads” at the bottom of the front page. There will also be a StoryStream on the front page with all the game thread links, as well as the recap after the game is over. The pitcher boxes and regular-season stats will return on Opening Day.
Discuss amongst yourselves.