Once again, there is a slight chance of rain this afternoon, but it looks like they’ll be able to get the game in, hopefully without interruption.
- Kris Bryant has at least two hits in his last four games with an at-bat, tying a career-high. Over his last five games, KB is s 9-for-17 (.529/.600/.882) with three doubles, one homer, six runs, two RBI and three walks.
- Anthony Rizzo’s double Saturday was his 235th as a Cub. He’s now tied with Bill Buckner for 20th most in franchise history. On the current homestand, Rizzo is batting .480/.536/.960 (12-for-25) with three doubles, three triples, eight runs and 10 RBI.
- Addison Russell’s home run Saturday was his first at Wrigley Field since June 29, 2018.
- Kyle Schwarber has hit safely in fourstraight games (.375/.421/.813, 6-for-16). He has six runs and four RBI in that stretch and has raised his season OPS from .727 to .779.
- The Cubs have hit 11 home runs in their last four games and have 80 homers this season, the club’s second-most through 50 games. They hit 83 through 50 games in 2000. (Hint: The current team is a better team than that 97-loss club in 2000.)
Here are today’s particulars.
Jose Quintana, RHP vs. Tanner Roark, RHP
Jose Quintana was touched up for three runs in five innings May 16 in Cincinnati (including a home run by Jose Peraza) and that’s the worst start of his last four. So that’s a good thing, and his last outing was six shutout innings against the Phillies last Tuesday.
Last eight starts: 2.32 ERA, 1.013 WHIP, 2.1 walks per nine innings. That’s... really good. We appear to, at last, have the Quintana we hoped we were getting in the deal with the White Sox nearly two years ago.
The Reds hitter who hits him best is Joey Votto (8-for-17, .471, four doubles).
The Cubs had eight hits and three runs off Tanner Roark May 14 in Cincinnati, but failed to homer off him. In fact, Roark has not allowed a home run in his last five starts and has served up just two long balls in 51⅓ innings this season.
Kris Bryant is the Cubs hitter who has had the most success off him: 7-for-14 (.500) with one home run. Anthony Rizzo has homered off Roark twice in 20 at-bats.
Today’s game is on WGN.
SB Nation game preview
Please visit our SB Nation Reds site Red Reporter. If you do go there to interact with Reds fans, please be respectful, abide by their individual site rules and serve as a good representation of Cub fans in general and BCB in particular.
The 2019 Game Thread procedure will be the same as the one used in previous years. Here’s how it works.
You’ll find the game preview posted separately on the front page, two hours before game time (90 minutes for some early day games following night games).
At the same time, a StoryStream containing the preview will also post on the front page. The First Pitch Thread and all the overflow threads will be published in that stream, as well as the recap. The recap will also live on the front page as a separate post, and at the time I write the recap I will rename the stream “Cubs vs. (Team) (Day of Week) Game Threads” so you can go back and find every thread related to that particular game.
You will also be able to find the preview, First Pitch Thread, all the overflow threads and recap in the box marked “Chicago Cubs Game Threads” at the bottom of the front page (you can also find them in this section link). They will also appear in the game’s StoryStream as noted above.
The First Pitch thread will post at five minutes before game time, then an overflow thread at one hour, two hours and 2:45 after the scheduled game time.
Discuss amongst yourselves.