... on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, Bleed Cubbie Blue brings a you a wildly popular Cubs-centric look at baseball’s past. Here’s a handy Cubs timeline, to help you follow along as we review select scenes from the rich tapestry of Chicago Cubs and Major League Baseball history. The embedded links often point to articles that pertain to the scenes, such as reproductions of period newspapers, images, and/or other such material as is often found in the wild.
Today in baseball history:
- 1909 - It’s a day for thievery as the Cubs steal home three times in a game at Boston, tying a major league mark. They waste no time, as Johnny Evers and Del Howarddo it in the 1st inning, and Solly Hofman in the 2nd. Chicago wins, 11-6. (3)
- 1929 - The Cubs buy Lon Warneke, 20, from Alexandria (Cotton States League) for $100. (3)
- 1942 - Cub pitchers Claude Passeau and Lon Warneke each toss 3 - 0 shutouts against the Reds. (3)
Box scores: Game one. Game two.
- Bonus coverage:
- 1998 - With his 50th and 51st dingers, Cubs’ slugger Sammy Sosa joins Mark McGwire (53) of the Cardinals in hitting 50 home runs, making it only the second time two National League hitters have reached the plateau in the same season. Pirates outfielder Ralph Kiner and Giants first baseman Johnny Mize each hit a league-leading 51 round trippers in 1947. (3)
- 2015 - The Cubs hit five home runs in beating the Braves. Jason Hammel is the beneficiary.
- 2016 -The Cubs beat the Padres behind Jake Arrieta. Kris Bryant and Addison Russell go deep.
- 2018 - Cole Hamels beats the Reds while Anthony Rizzo and Javier Baez hit long balls.
- Cubs birthdays: Fred Andrus, Red Downs, Lew Richie, Roy Leslie, Guy Bush, Lonny Frey, Dave Dowling, Danny Murphy, Al Montreuil, Jerry White, Mark Bellhorn, Cole Liniak, Also notable: George Davis (HoF), George Kell (HoF).
- (1) — The National Pastime.
- (2) — Today in Baseball History.
- (3) — Baseball Reference.
- (4) — Society for American Baseball Research.
- (5) — Baseball Hall of Fame.
Thanks for reading.