... on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, Bleed Cubbie Blue brings a you a lighthearted Cubs-centric look at baseball’s past. Here’s a handy Cubs timeline, to help you follow along as we review select scenes from the rich tapestry of Chicago Cubs and Major League Baseball history*.
Today in baseball history:
- 1894 - At Chicago’s Lake Front Park, Quaker (Phillies) fly chaser Jack Manning hits three home runs in an 11-7 loss to the White Stockings. The Philadelphia outfielder is the first player in franchise history to accomplish the feat. (1)
- 1906 - Snow flies at Chicago’s West Side Park as the first one-city World Series opens with the 116-win Cubs heavy favorites. However, White Sox starter Nick Altrock outduels Three Finger Brown for a 2-1 victory. (1,3)
- 1907 - In Game 2 of the World Series played at Chicago’s West Side Grounds, Tigers third baseman Bill Coughlin tags out Jimmy Slagle, who is leading off the base, using the hidden ball trick. The Cubs center fielder is the first victim ever to be deceived about the location of the ball during the Fall Classic. (1)
- 1938 - Sweeping the Cubs in four games, the Bronx Bombers become the first team in major league history to win three consecutive World Series. Red Ruffing goes the distance, beating Chicago, 8-3, at Yankee Stadium. (1)
- 1989 - The Giants win their first National League pennant since 1962 by defeating the Cubs, 3-2, in Game 5 of the NLCS. Will Clark bats .650 in the series with eight RBI to win MVP honors. It’s the final edition of the NBC Game of the Week. (1,3)23
- Cubs birthdays: Dave Rowe, Joe Pepitone, Jim Qualls, Felix Fermin, Courtney Duncan, Derek Holland, David Phelps. Also notable: Rube Marquard HOF, Joe Sewell HOF.
Round 2 — for the Pennant! Cubs vs Dodgers! At 11 a.m. CT. Yu Darvish (1-0, 1.13) will take the hill against Walker Buehler (1-0, 0.00) in a likely pitchers’ duel, a night game in the Friendly Confines. Ryan Yarbrough (0-0, 0.00) and Clayton Kershaw (0-1, 4.50) will face each other in the second game, Saturday at 11 a.m. CT.
Sunday will be a ‘travel day’ as the teams ready for battle in Chavez Ravine. Pitching will be at a premium in this series. Both teams also feature star-studded offenses and this promises to be a great series. All game video and related material is available commercial-free, 24/7, at the BCB Media Center.
- (1) — The National Pastime.
- (2) — Today in Baseball History.
- (3) — Baseball Reference.
- (4) — Society for American Baseball Research.
- (5) — Baseball Hall of Fame.
- (6) — This Day in Chicago Cubs history.
*We vet each item as much as time allows. Please let us know if an item is in error, especially if you have a source. Thanks for reading!