... on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, Bleed Cubbie Blue brings a you a lighthearted Cubs-centric look at baseball’s past. Here’s a handy Cubs timeline, to help you follow along as we review select scenes from the rich tapestry of Chicago Cubs and Major League Baseball history*. Beware of rabbit holes.
Today in baseball history:
- 1884 - Billy Evans is born in Chicago, Illinois. One of the foremost umpires in history, Evans will spend 22 years in the American League. He will achieve great prestige for his fairness and unquestioned integrity. Following his umpiring career, in 1927 he will become the first full-time general manager in Cleveland Indians history. In 1973, the Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee will select Evans for enshrinement. (3)
- 1910 - Ground is broken in Chicago for a modern concrete-and-steel stadium to replace the obsolete South Side Park. The Pale Hose will play their first game at Comiskey Park, originally known as White Sox Park, on July 1, losing to the Browns in their new home, 2-0. (1)
- 1916 - In a sweet deal, the Chicago Cubs send cash to the sinking Chicago Whales of the Federal League and bring back defectors Three Finger Brown, Clem Clemens, Mickey Doolan, Bill Fischer, Max Flack, Claude Hendrix, Les Mann, Dykes Potter, Joe Tinker, Rollie Zeider and George McConnell. (3)
- 1920 - The American and National League Joint Rules Committee outlaw the spitball, shineball, and emeryball. Seventeen pitchers, including Burleigh Grimes, who will be the last player to throw a doctored pitch legally, are allowed to keep throwing the banned pitches until they retire. (1)
- 2018 - The Cubs land one of the biggest remaining free agents of the off-season by signing RHP Yu Darvish for six years and $126 million.
- Cubs birthdays: Bob Logan, Randy Jackson, Cesar Izturis, Allen Webster. Also notable: Herb Pennock (HoF).
- (1) — The National Pastime.
- (2) — Today in Baseball History.
- (3) — Baseball Reference.
- (4) — Society for American Baseball Research.
- (5) — Baseball Hall of Fame.
- (6) — This Day in Chicago Cubs history.
*We try to vet each item. Please let us know if an item is in error, especially if you have a source.
Thanks for reading.