Much like the seasons, there are rumors that can never quite seem to be put to bed, and the current most popular one making the rounds is that former Yankee Alex Rodriguez and his financee Jennifer Lopez are considering making an offer to buy the New York Mets.
This would, of course, but Rodriguez in direct competition with his former colleague Derek Jeter, now part-owner of the Miami Marlins. While the details of the potential purchase are fuzzy, Scott Soshnick of Variety has reported that Rodriguez and Lopez have retained JPMorganChase to help them raised the necessary capital for such a venture.
Rodriguez was a 14-time All-Star in his career, and certainly has the accolades that would normally make one a contender for the Hall of Fame, but his 211-game suspension for using performance enhancing drugs as a player may mar any hopes he has of being voted in.
- Speaking of the Mets, Hannah Keyser (whose “The Bandwagon” series I miss very much) shared the story of a lesser-known Mets pitcher: Ron Swoboda.
- Regardless of whether or not baseball is played this year, those stars who would have been free agents at the end of the year still will be, so Craig Edwards looks at team payrolls for 2021 as expensive players leave their books.
- Have you ever encountered @OldHossRadbourn on Twitter? Alex Coffey looks into the creation of the unique Twitter account. (The Athletic subscription required.)
- Disgraced former journalist Jonah Keri has been removed from a new cut of an Expos documentary following multiple assault charges, in a story by Andrew Bucholtz.
- Once you’re done binge-watching The Last Dance, read this incredible piece by Amanda Lane all about the friendship between Michael Jordan and beloved Seattle Mariner Joey Cora.
- The Toronto Blue Jays are among the 19 teams who have committed to paying their full-time staff through May 31, according to Ben Nicholson-Smith.
- Continue your love affair with the CPBL as Jay Jaffe leads you through the “Who’s Hu” of Taiwanese players.
- Our own Al Yellon inteviewed CPBL play-by-play announcer Richard Yang, but Marc Craig of The Athletic also sings the praises of Yang and his colleague Wayne McNeil. (The Athletic subscription required.)
- Chris Cotillo talks to Mookie Betts about how weird it was to put a Dodgers uniform on for the first time.
- James Fegan shares a moving story about how Lucas Giolito regained his confidence. (The Athletic subscription required.)
- Orioles pitcher David Hess is taking advanced technology into his workouts, in a story by Joe Trezza.
- Future All-Star Charley Kershaw:
And tomorrow will be a better day than today, Buster. Make it so.