Hello fine Cubbie friends, it’s a glorious Wednesday, and I your resident Canadian am celebrating Canada Day up in the Great White North. It’s slated to be 90+ degrees here and I will be excitedly spending my day watching for baseball players to report to Summer Camp.
Obviously, Cubs fans all have a favourite (see what I did there) Canadian player in Fergie Jenkins, but there are a few notable Canadians still playing ball actively, including: James Paxton, Russell Martin, and of course Joey Votto.
So say “sorry, eh?” to your favourite Canadian today, and enjoy some baseball news!
- Let’s start the post with something silly and fun. TawnyFroggy from our sister site Twinkie Town has put together a primer for anyone who might have forgotten just how baseball works.
- On a more somber note, in the most recent Baseball.FYI newsletter, Daniel R. Epstein asks us what we’ve done in bringing baseball back.
- Jayson Jenks looks at the history of the hotfoot prank. (The Athletic subscription required.)
- Former Dodgers outfielder Andrew Toles is battling personal problems and struggling with homelessness, and Bob Nightengale reports that his family is in search of help for him.
- Craig Edwards looks at what we’ve learned after teams announced they’re 60-man player pools.
- Do owners trust Rob Manfred less than Bud Selig? Marc Normandin thinks so. (Baseball Prospectus subscription required.)
- SI.com staff dive into what the 60-game season means.
- And similarly, Jim Bowden looks at which teams might benefit the most from the short year. (The Athletic subscription required.)
- Players tip a cap to the 100th anniversary of the Negro Leagues.
- Which hitters could have the best luck in a 60-game season? Rob Mains looks at past precedence. (Baseball Prospectus subscription required)
- If you’re a little confused about the new roster rules, not to worry, Jay Jaffe explains it all.
- Matt Martell looks at which six clubs will be hurt the most by no expanded postseason.
- Rustin Dodd talks food and wine with Gerrit Cole. (The Athletic subscription required.)
- Joon Lee looks at what the sharp rise in Ivy League-educated management might be doing to MLB.
- Sarah R. Ingber, Davy Andrews, and Roger Cormier continue their minor league series with the Kingsport Mets.
- Tony Wolfe looks at the four players (so far) to opt out of the 2020 season.
- Some milestones to watch for this coming season.
And tomorrow will be a better day than today, Buster. Make it so.