Here are the 30 players who will be on the active roster for the Cubs for the first two weeks of the 2020 season:
11-Yu Darvish, RHP
24-Jeremy Jeffress, RHP
28-Kyle Hendricks, RHP
30-Alec Mills, RHP
32-Tyler Chatwood, RHP
34-Jon Lester, LHP
36-Dillon Maples, RHP
38-Brad Wieck, LHP
43-Dan Winkler, RHP
46-Craig Kimbrel, RHP
48-Rex Brothers, LHP
50-Rowan Wick, RHP
51-Duane Underwood Jr., RHP
56-Kyle Ryan, LHP
57-James Norwood, RHP
65-Casey Sadler, RHP
5-Albert Almora Jr.
21-Steven Souza Jr.
This isn’t too much different than what I predicted a couple of days ago.
In addition, the following roster moves were made Thursday:
- Jose Quintana has been placed on the 10-day injured list, retroactive to July 20, with a left thumb nerve injury.
- Daniel Descalso has been placed on the 45-day injured list with a left ankle sprain. The 45-day IL is the equivalent of the 60-day IL for a full season, so it’s very likely Descalso has played his last game as a Cub. This also opened a spot on the 40-man roster.
- Robel Garcia has been designated for assignment. This opened another spot on the 40-man roster; those spots were taken by Phegley and Brothers.
- Ryan Tepera and Jharel Cotton have been optioned to the club’s South Bend Summer Camp roster. Right-handed pitcher Colin Rea, who was optioned to Iowa on March 10, has been assigned to the South Bend roster.
- The Cubs have assigned four non-roster players to the South Bend Summer Camp Roster: infielder Hernan Perez, outfielder Ian Miller, catcher P.J. Higgins and left-handed pitcher Danny Hultzen. It seems likely some or all of those players will play for the big-league Cubs sometime before the end of the 60-game season.
- Mark Zagunis has opted out for the season and has been placed on the restricted list. He is no longer part of the club’s 60-man player pool. The 60-man player pool stands at 53: 30 in Chicago and 23 in South Bend. The 40-man roster is full at 40 players.