... on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, Bleed Cubbie Blue brings a you a lighthearted Cubs-centric look at baseball’s past. Here’s a handy Cubs timeline, to help you follow along as we review select scenes from the rich tapestry of Chicago Cubs and Major League Baseball history*.
Today in baseball history:
- 1913 - The New York Yankees sign Frank Chance to be their next manager. Chance previously won two World Series and four pennants as the manager of the Chicago Cubs. The veteran skipper will finish next to last place (57-94) and will compile a 117-168 record during his two-year stint in New York. (1,3)
- 1953 - The Cleveland Indians bar night games with the St. Louis Browns due to St. Louis owner Bill Veeck’s refusal to share receipts of the game telecasts. The St. Louis owner did not allow his opponents to broadcast away games played against his team after his proposal to share the other American League owners vetoed radio and television revenue. (1,3)
- 1956 - The National Association awards Dodger second baseman Jackie Robinson the prestigious Spingarn Medal for the Advancement of Colored People for his strong support of civil rights initiatives. Last year the NAACP gave the honor to Martin Luther King Jr., who was best known for his role in promoting the use of nonviolent civil disobedience to secure equal rights for all Americans. (1)
- 1991 - For the first time since 1984, three players are elected to the Hall of Fame: two 300-game winners, Gaylord Perry and Ferguson Jenkins, and a member of the 3,000-hit club, Rod Carew, who becomes the 22nd player to be named in his first year of eligibility. Ironically, none of the three players ever appeared in a World Series. (1,3)
- 2014 - One year after failing to elect anyone, the BBWAA atones by giving three players their ticket to Cooperstown in this year’s Hall of Fame election. Ps Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine, 300-game winners both, and 1B Frank Thomas are all elected on their first try. (3)
- 2016 - The former scouting director of the St. Louis Cardinals, Chris Correa, pleads guilty to five charges of hacking following an investigation by the FBI over allegations that the Cards had spied into the Houston Astros’ scouting database. (3)
- Cubs birthdays: Walker Cooper, Marv Rickert, Bruce Sutter HOF, Geremi Gonzalez, James Russell.
- (1) — The National Pastime.
- (2) — Today in Baseball History.
- (3) — Baseball Reference.
- (4) — Society for American Baseball Research.
- (5) — Baseball Hall of Fame.
- (6) — This Day in Chicago Cubs history.
*We vet each item as much as time allows. Please let us know if an item is in error, especially if you have a source. Thanks for reading.