With the All-Star festivities in full swing, it’s been a light-ish week for baseball writing to share, but it has also been All-Star week! Let’s spend the top half of today’s link’s post catching up on some of the best non-Cubs aspects of the ASG and other activities of the week.
In easily my favorite story surrounding the All-Star Game, Braves’ first baseman Freddie Freeman confessed that his motivations for getting selected to the team were inspired by his young son Charlie, who wanted him to step up his game in order for Charlie to meet his baseball hero: Fernando Tatis Jr.
Charlie Freeman using his dad just to meet Fernando Tatis Jr.— Jordan Moore (@iJordanMoore) July 13, 2021
I love this kid. Impossible not to like Freddie Freeman, too. pic.twitter.com/rOGD9wEjbJ
Charlie Freeman had one goal and didn't stop until it happened— B/R Walk-Off (@BRWalkoff) July 13, 2021
(via chelseafreeman5/IG) pic.twitter.com/GFjmxDS1cP
one day after meeting his favorite player, Charlie Freeman was just a smidge starstruck. pic.twitter.com/Vj69hccFyg— Cut4 (@Cut4) July 13, 2021
Then my biggest, most emotional moment of the night was seeing multiple players put Trey Mancini’s name on their cards for the Stand Up to Cancer interlude.
Cedric Mullins put Trey Mancini brb crying pic.twitter.com/78i0Cj2dpZ— kayla (@kaygregoire) July 14, 2021
There were definitely a few tears shed, at least at my house.
Now let’s look at some baseball writing!
- Devan Fink looks at the extension of Red Sox reliever Matt Barnes.
- The one name on everyone’s lips this week was Shohei Ohtani, of course, and Stephanie Apstein looks at how the best in the game will be celebrating him.
- Fabian Ardaya looks at the skill it requires to balance both of Ohtani’s incredible talents. (The Athletic subscription required.)
- One of the biggest stories related to Ohtani this week was a rant from Stephen A. Smith that suggested Ohtani couldn’t be the face of baseball because he doesn’t speak English (he does). Smith subsequently apologized for his remarks. Story by Joseph Salvador.
- Jeff Passan explains how Ohtani won the night on Monday even though he lost the Home Run Derby.
- Jay Jaffe recaps the Home Run Derby where Pete Alonso quietly danced his way to a second win.
- Pete Alonso seems like he was born to hit home runs, and Jayson Stark looks at his incredible second win. (The Athletic subscription required.)
- Ben Lindbergh is also all-in on Pete Alonso discussion.
- If you hated 7-inning doubleheaders, well, good news because Rob Manfred has said they won’t be back next season.
- Brianna Williams shines a spotlight on another amazing breakout story of the year: Vlad Guerrero Jr.
- ESPN gives us the best of the best from the ASG’s “purple” carpet.
- Speaking of which, let’s have a good look at Fernando Tatis Jr.’s pink suit. Story by Matt Monagan.
- Eno Sarris and Brittany Ghiroli review what adjustments all of the All-Stars needed to make to get where they are this week. (The Athletic subscription required.)
- Steve Gardner collected a LOT of snarky tweets about the ASG uniforms.
- And I can’t help it, this made me laugh.
TONIGHT, KEVIN CASH GETS TO REALIZE HIS DREAM OF TAKING OUT A BUNCH OF STAR PITCHERS BEFORE THEY'RE ACTUALLY TIRED— NOT HALL OF FAMER BASEBALL PERSON (@TRIPPINGOLNEY) July 14, 2021
And tomorrow will be a better day than today, Buster. Make it so.