- LOSING STREAKS: After Friday’s loss, the Cubs now have two losing streaks of nine or more this year, the first time in franchise history that’s happened.
The following teams had two (or more) 10-game losing streaks in a single season, along with their final records: 1902 Giants (48-88), 1903 Cardinals (43-94), 1909 Braves (45-108), 1916 Athletics (three, 36-117), 1919 Phillies (47-90), 1935 Braves (38-115), 1962 Mets (three, 40-120), 1963 Mets (51-111), 1998 Marlins (54-108), 2002 Orioles (67-95), 2003 Tigers (43-119), 2006 Royals (62-100).
As you can see, all of those teams are among the worst in MLB history. Overall those ballclubs total a .312 winning percentage, equivalent to a 51-111 MLB 162-game season.. That’s a group the Cubs are trying to avoid joining tonight.
- THE PITCHING: The Cubs have allowed 10+ runs in three straight games. The franchise has not allowed 10+ runs in four straight games since June 29-July 5, 1894, when they did it in six straight games. (No boxscore links, but here’s the 1894 day-by-day schedule.)
- HEY, THIS GUY CAN HIT, A LITTLE: Robinson Chirinos, 2021 in MLB: .250/.365/.591 (11-for-44), with three doubles and four home runs, so seven of his 11 hits are for extra bases.
- HEY, THIS GUY CAN HIT, A LITTLE, PART 2: Frank Schwindel, 2021 with Cubs: .395/.439/.737 (15-for-38), with four doubles and three home runs, so seven of his 15 hits are for extra bases.
- HEY, THIS GUY CAN HIT, A LITTLE, PART 3: Rafael Ortega, since the selloff: .458/.500/.750 (22-for-48) with two doubles, four home runs, 11 RBI, nine runs and four stolen bases.
Yes, I am aware all of those are very small sample sizes. Trying to find some positive things to note here ain’t easy right now, y’know.
Here are today’s particulars.
The Marlins lineup was not available at posting time. Please check the BCB Twitter feed for the Marlins lineup.
Zach Davies, RHP vs. Zach Thompson, RHP
At last, the Zach vs. Zach matchup we’ve been dreaming about.
Zach Davies, last six starts: 8.54 ERA, 2.089 WHIP, 1.049 opponents BA.
Do you really need any more than that? Might as well give the Marlins a hitting tee.
Zach Thompson threw four no-hit innings against the Cubs June 20 at Wrigley Field. No, really! But because of three walks and a passed ball, he allowed a run and the Cubs won 2-0.
Exactly three Cubs who played in that game are still on the active roster and could play tonight: Ian Happ, Patrick Wisdom and Sergio Alcántara.
Thompson has a 3.63 ERA and 1.240 WHIP in seven starts since then, perfectly respectable MLB numbers.
Clearly, we are doomed.
Today’s game is on Marquee Sports Network. Here’s a list of providers currently carrying Marquee.
Please visit our SB Nation Marlins site Fish Stripes. If you do go there to interact with Marlins fans, please be respectful, abide by their individual site rules and serve as a good representation of Cub fans in general and BCB in particular.
The 2021 Game Thread procedure will be a bit different than previous years. It will be similar to what we’ve used for Spring Training.
You’ll find the game preview posted separately on the front page two hours before game time (90 minutes for some early day games following night games).
At the same time, a StoryStream containing the preview will also post on the front page, titled “Cubs vs. (Team) (Day of week/date) game threads.” It will contain every post related to that particular game, including the First Pitch Thread and the overflow thread, as well as the recap when it’s published. The recap will also live on the front page as a separate post.
You will also be able to find the preview, First Pitch Thread and the overflow thread in the box marked “Chicago Cubs Game Threads” at the bottom of the front page (you can also find them in this section link). The StoryStream for each game can also be found in that section.
The First Pitch thread will post at five minutes before game time, then an overflow thread at 90 minutes after the scheduled game time.
Discuss amongst yourselves.