Today's roster moves:
Cubs moves:— Jordan Bastian (@MLBastian) July 17, 2022
• RHP Erich Uelmen selected from Triple-A Iowa. Fourth-round pick by Cubs in 2017. Has 2.79 ERA with 52 K/23 BB in 42 ip (28 games) this year for I-Cubs.
• LHP Daniel Norris DFA’d, RHP Anderson Espinoza (27th man on Saturday) optioned to Triple-A.
- IT HAD BEEN A WHILE: Saturday, the Cubs played extra innings in both games of a doubleheader for the first time since June 13, 1986 vs. the Cardinals. The Cubs split that twin bill. (H/T: Ed Hartig)
- HE KNEW HOW TO HIT HIS FORMER TEAMMATE: Yan Gomes had two hits off Max Scherzer in Saturday’s second game and is 5-for-10 (.500) with four RBI lifetime vs. Scherzer. Gomes caught Scherzer 25 times when the pair were teammates with the Nationals.
- LOTS OF PITCHING: Scott Effross pitched in both games of Saturday’s doubleheader and has now appeared 43 times in 2022, tied for the most in MLB.
- SEIYA: Seiya Suzuki had three hits in Game 2, tying his career high. He is on a five-game hitting streak in which he is batting .381 (8-for-21).
Here are today’s particulars.
Adrian Sampson, RHP vs. David Peterson, LHP
Adrian Sampson has done a good job of keeping the Cubs in games, even when he’s struggled early.
He has never faced the Mets. Current Mets players are a very small sample size 7-for-22 against him with two home runs (both by Mark Canha).
David Peterson doesn’t get the attention some of the higher-paid guys on the Mets staff do, but he has put together a solid season, though his July has been a bit shaky: 4.80 ERA, four home runs in 15 innings.
He faced the Cubs twice last year, both games before the selloff, so most current Cubs have not faced him. No current Cub has more than five PA against Peterson.
Today’s game is on Marquee Sports Network. Here’s a list of providers currently carrying Marquee.
Please visit our SB Nation Mets site Amazin’ Avenue. If you do go there to interact with Mets fans, please be respectful, abide by their individual site rules and serve as a good representation of Cub fans in general and BCB in particular.
The 2022 Game Thread procedure will be like last years, similar to what we’ve used for Spring Training.
You’ll find the game preview posted separately on the front page two hours before game time (90 minutes for some early day games following night games).
At the same time, a StoryStream containing the preview will also post on the front page, titled “Cubs vs. (Team) (Day of week/date) game threads.” It will contain every post related to that particular game, including the First Pitch Thread and the overflow thread, as well as the recap when it’s published. The recap will also live on the front page as a separate post.
You will also be able to find the preview, First Pitch Thread and the overflow thread in the box marked “Chicago Cubs Game Threads” at the bottom of the front page (you can also find them in this section link). The StoryStream for each game can also be found in that section.
The First Pitch thread will post at five minutes before game time, then an overflow thread at 90 minutes after the scheduled game time.
Discuss amongst yourselves.