Thanksgiving weekend is probably the slowest news period of the year for MLB. The sports media is focused on football and basketball. At least around Christmas and New Year’s Day, there are usually free agent deals and trades. But the Hot Stove hasn’t really heated up yet in late November.
But I thank you for stopping in anyway. We’ll lead with “Breaking News” from last evening.
Right-hander Kenta Maeda and the Detroit Tigers are in agreement on a two-year, $24 million contract, sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN. Detroit has been all over mid-tier pitching, and the 35-year-old Maeda stays in the American League Central. @JonHeyman had agreement.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) November 27, 2023
- There was one trade this past week as the Mariners sent third baseman Eugenio Suarez to the Diamondbacks for right-hander Carlos Vargas and back-up catcher Seby Zavala.
- Bradford Doolittle and David Schoenfield grade the Suarez deal. (ESPN+ sub. only) A “B” for the D-Backs and a “C” for the M’s.
- Antony Castrovince has six potential blockbuster deals that would shake up the Hot Stove.
- David Schoenfield has one potential trade and/or free agent signing for each team. (ESPN+ sub. only)
- Will Leitch has ten “older” free agents who can still help a team.
- David Adler looks at the free agent pitching market from a different angle. He presents the best available pitches on the free agent market. As in, which free agent pitcher has the best slider?
- Matt Snyder has three moves the Blue Jays should make this offseason.
- R.J. Anderson has four “Black Friday” deals of “bargain” free agents who could bring big returns in 2024.
- Andy McCullough has a “Black Friday” deal for every MLB team.
- A musical interlude.
- The Giants are reported to be ready to spend big this offseason. I don’t think San Francisco will be outbid for Shohei Ohtani. Ohtani may not sign there for other reasons, but it won’t be money.
- Zach Crizer wonders how much longer Ohtani will be able to pitch.
- Andy Martino has details on how NPB star Yoshinobu Yamamoto will pick a new team.
- Manny Randhawa has ten “most stunning” offseason trades in MLB history.
- Sarah Langs has 12 free agent deals that paid off for the signing team immediately.
- Langs also has the most unusual pitcher wins from the 2023 season.
- Sad news as former Mets catcher Ron Hodges passed away at 74. Our condolences go out to his friends and family.
- And finally, Brad Lefton has the story of how Ichiro Suzuki has kept his passion for playing baseball alive by forming his own barnstorming team and pitching for the team. (The Athletic sub. req.)
And tomorrow will be a better day than today, Buster.