With the big signing of Shohei Ohtani out of the way, eyes are turning to another Japanese superstar and where he’s going to land. Yoshinobu Yamamoto, the stellar NPB pitcher who is on the cusp of moving to his first MLB team, seems to be about to sign with a New York team, but it has become a question of which one?
Here’s a little more on Yamamoto’s possible new homes:
- Yamamoto meets with the Mets for dinner, Yankees are up next. (MLB)
- It appears Yamamoto has two offers worth $300 million or more, reports Mike McDaniel.
Now onto the rest of today’s links!
- Well that’s certainly an ace up the sleeve.
During their pitch to Shohei Ohtani, the Dodgers had an ace in the hole.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) December 15, 2023
"One of the highlights of the whole meeting," Ohtani said.
It was a 6-year-old video of Kobe Bryant encouraging him to join the Dodgers.
At ESPN+, inside the Ohtani sweepstakes: https://t.co/zEMLrq35cp pic.twitter.com/roCtjty97w
- How are the Royals doing according to the man at the top? Story by David Laurila.
- Mike McDaniel explains how Shohei Ohtani could become the Michael Jordan of the Dodgers.
- Grant Brisbee explains how the Giants missed their window to make a big free agent splash. (The Athletic subscription required.)
- Molly Burkhardt looks at how players enjoyed the All-MLB weekend. She also shares how Ronald Acuña Jr. thanked Hank Aaron while accepting his namesake award.
- Jay Jaffe makes a case for Adrian Beltre and the Hall of Fame.
- Paul Casella unveils the All-MLB First and Second teams.
- The Padres may now have a payroll under $200 million, shares Dennis Lin. (The Athletic subscription required.)
- Emma Baccellieri explains how both the Dodgers and the Rays managed to win in the Tyler Glasnow trade.
- Glasnow is a winner of the trade as well, signing an extension with the Dodgers worth over $136 million. Story by Jeff Passan.
- Ben Clemens teaches us a lesson on how not to build for depth.
- With more players off the board, Jim Bowden has restructured his free agent guesses. (The Atheltic subscription required.)
- The Angels don’t have time to mope about losing Ohtani, saying “life goes on.” (AP)
- The story goes a bit deeper because the Angels had a chance to match the Dodgers offer and declined it, according to Sam Blum. (The Athletic subscription required.)
- Tom Dierberger shares how Matt Carpenter is onto his fourth team in four years.
- Lourdes Guriel Jr. is heading back to the Diamondbacks. Story by Steve Gilbert.
- Leo Morgenstern wonders if Gary Sanchez is in for another long wait.
- It appears that Max Scherzer is likely out until mid-2024, reports Jesse Rogers.
- Who are the top teams poised to sign Dylan Cease? (MLB)
- What a random jersey to pick, bless her.
Billie Eilish wore a Jake Peavy White Sox jersey on Saturday Night Live pic.twitter.com/begjMaB9wi— Cut4 (@Cut4) December 17, 2023
And tomorrow will be a better day than today, Buster. Make it so.