Hello lovely BCB readers. Well, it’s here, your last OTC before Christmas, and it’s full to the brim of hot stove wonderings and year-end musings. While we’ll continue our regularly scheduled programming through the rest of this year, this seems like a good time to pause and let you know how grateful we are for all of you who come to the site day after day and read our work, letting us keep doing what we love to do.
If you celebrate Christmas I hope it’s wonderful for you and your family, and if you don’t celebrate Christmas I hope you at least enjoy your Monday off!
Now let’s get into today’s links!
- MLB dot com has the latest on Yoshinobu Yamamoto and his reported signing with the Dodgers.
- Ken Rosenthal looks at how the Yamamoto contract frenzy compares to previous Japanese pitchers heading for MLB contracts. (The Athletic subscription required.)
- Jack Flaherty’s mom shares the cutest photo of him that might have foreshadowed his Tigers’ signing. Story by Madison Williams.
- Here’s a little more information on the Flaherty signing with Detroit. (AP)
- Jeff Schultz offers a look right at the top brass as to why the Braves haven’t done anything wild this offseason. (The Athletic subscription required.)
- Michael Baumann, meanwhile, wonders what the Braves are up to.
- Billie Eilish sporting a Jake Peavy jersey on Saturday Night Live was certainly a big moment for the retired pitcher in terms of social clout. Story by Matt Monagan.
- Ian Casselberry shares that Bernie Williams is in talks to become a Yankees TV analyst.
- Brian Murphy looks at some big-name free agents still available.
- Shohei Ohtani wins his second straight AP Top Male Athlete award. (AP)
- Evan Drellich looks at how the Ohtani contract might see echoes as far as Silicon Valley. (The Athletic subscription required.)
- A quick look at some new tweaks to the rules for next season.
News: MLB competition committee approves changes for the 2024 season including:— Jesse Rogers (@JesseRogersESPN) December 21, 2023
-18 sec clock with runners on
-4 mound visits, down from 5
-If a P starts to warm up before an inning, he must face at least one hitter.
-The runner’s lane to first has been widened to the inf grass
- Jesse Rogers offers a little more insight on those tweaks.
- Andrew McCutchen is heading back to the Pirates, shares Ben Clemens.
- Jake Crouse shares Cutch’s thoughts on his return to Pittsburgh.
- Karl Rasmussen spotlights the “Wolf of Wall Street” meme that McCutchen used to announce his return.
- Not a lot of surprises here:
- Ben Clemens investigates some seemingly random Brewers moves.
- Eno Saris comemorates the top ptiches of 2023. (The Athletic subscription required)
- Anthony Castrovince wonders who were the best players of 2023 with no awards to show for it?
- Alden Gonzalez looks at how the RSN mess may have impacted free agency.
- David Adler makes a “pitch” for one of the most reliable free agents still left on the market.
- Jay Jaffe makes a Hall of Fame case for David Wright. He also bundled Omar Vizquel and Francisco Rodriguez into one post.
- Should the A’s change their name if they move to Vegas?
And tomorrow will be a better day than today, Buster. Make it so.