How are we doing with our New Year’s Resolutions everyone? Still working out, eating well? Yeah, me either. But if your resolution was to stay up to date on what’s happening in the world of baseball, then we’ve got you covered.
In today’s links roundup we’ll see where Chaim Bloom is headed next, another female trailblazer working for the Marlins, and we’ll find out which celebrity Freddie Freeman recently photobombed.
We’ll also look at some mid-offseason grades and check in on some remaining free agents and where they might be headed—or more accurately where the experts think they should be headed.
So let’s get onto today’s links!
- Josh Kosman shares that MLB has declined Amazon’s bid to bailout Diamond Sports.
- The St. Louis Cardinals have added Chaim Bloom to their front office, reports Jeff Passan.
- Ken Rosenthal looks at the legal trouble that could prevent Wander Franco from returning to America. (The Athletic subscription required.)
- The Marlins have hired Rachel Balkovec as the director of player development, reports Christina De Nicola.
- Shohei Ohtani’s contract is being assessed as a potential tax loophole, reports Patrick Andres.
- Will Leitch looks at 10 potential landing spots for Blake Snell.
- Adam Berry assesses how recent trades have shaken up the Rays’ roster.
- Teoscar Hernandez is making the Dodgers even more of a menace on a one-year deal. Story by Michael Baumann.
- Jesse Rogers reports that discussions are “ongoing” regarding Dylan Cease.
- Tyler Kepner explains the logic behind his Hall of Fame ballot. (The Athletic subscription required.)
- Ben Clemens looks at the Mets’ acquisition of Sean Manaea.
- Tom Verducci looks at what the Mets can expect under David Stearns.
- This is never not impressive.
TIL: Deion Sanders once won two NCAA conference titles in the same day— Cut4 (@Cut4) January 9, 2024
In 1987, Florida State University's baseball and track & field teams were in South Carolina for the Metro Conference Championships
Sanders participated in events for both teams -- two baseball games and a… pic.twitter.com/MeAtUZFGuq
- Chad Jennings and Stephen J. Nesbitt determine which teams met their needs and which teams are still lacking. (The Athletic subscription required.)
- David Schoenfield offers mid-offseason grades for all 30 teams.
- Stephanie Apstein creates a dream team of batters from the remaining free agents on the market.
- Jay Jaffe reflects on 20 years of JAWS.
- Ken Rosenthal makes a case for Matt Chapman with the Giants. (The Athletic subscription required.)
- Do the Dodgers now have the best batting trio of all time? David Schoenfield assesses.
- Speaking of that lineup, Juan Toribio makes some mock Dodgers lineups that are frankly ridiculous.
- Kristen Wong shares the viral moment that Freddie Freeman photobombed Taylor Swift at the Golden Globes.
- Luke Raley found out he’d been traded while he was on his honeymoon, reports Paul Casella.
- Uni-Watch looks at a potential evolution in the Rays’ uniform future.
- It’s always a bummer to see small affiliates end their runs.
And tomorrow will be a better day than today, Buster. Make it so.