We’re now about a month away from the start of spring training, and while most teams seem to have addressed their needs, there are still some free agents left on the market without knowing if they’re heading to Florida or Arizona, or if they’ll be starting the baseball season at home.
Names like Rhys Hopkins, Joey Votto (who is decidedly not yet ready to retire), and Blake Snell are still looking for new teams for the season, and baseball writers love nothing more than to throw around hypothetical landing places for the remaining players on the market.
A few posts on the remaining free agents:
- Michael Baumann looks at potential landing spots for Rhys Hopkins.
- Mike Lupika thinks Blake Snell could be worth the risk for several clubs.
- Ken Rosenthal also makes a case for Blake Snell on the open market. (The Athletic subscription required.)
- At least six teams are showing interest in J.D. Martinez. (MLB)
- Thomas Harrigan thinks these six free agents could be poised for a rebound in 2024.
- C. Trent Rosencranz brings us Joey Votto’s first year as a free agent and his hopes of finding a new team to call home. (The Athletic subscription required.)
And now onto the rest of today’s links!
- Jay Jaffe looks at the case for James Shields in the Hall of Fame.
- The premature birth of his baby caused Max Stassi to re-evaluate what was important to him. Story by Sam Blum. (The Athletic subscription required.)
- Never forget where you come from. Love to see this.
- Eric Longenhagen looks at International Prospect Rankings.
- Stephanie Apstein and Emma Baccellieri discuss the Giants’ signing of Jordan Hicks.
- Kiley McDaniel looks at the best football players who decided to play pro baseball instead.
- Stop, this is so cute.
Who inspires you? How do you get a million followers? What was the WBC like?— St. Louis Cardinals (@Cardinals) January 14, 2024
Lars Nootbaar gave all the answers at our Kids Press Conference! pic.twitter.com/zTw1coEytm
- Tom Verducci wants to remind us that the Dodgers aren’t a sure bet for the World Series, even now.
- Shohei Ohtani’s dog gets its’ own giant replica visa, shares Ian Casselberry.
- The Dodgers have rehired Raul Ibanez for a new role, reports Alden Gonzalez.
- Who is this for you, Cubs fans?
Every team has that player.— Cut4 (@Cut4) January 14, 2024
Who is it for your favorite team? ⬇️ pic.twitter.com/i4JqN2p9nl
And tomorrow will be a better day than today, Buster. Make it so.